Can I have an overnightguest if my lease says "not to be occupied by more than 1 adult without written consent of landlord" Is a guest an?

Asked by Anneke, Washington, DC Thu Aug 26, 2010

occupant? I leased a room in Washington DC, and my Landlord kicket my boyfriend out when he wanted to stay the night. She said that I breached the lease. Is an overnight guest also included in above sentence in the lease?

Answers

2
Daniel Johns…, , Mitchellville, MD
Sat Aug 28, 2010
Yes you need to abide by the written contract. You should therefore contact the owner of the home, she needs to protect herself ... DC is very strict on lessors and she is probably just covering her own skin.

Only way to get around this...buy, today's rates are at all time lows and home ownership has never been so affordable. Depending on your credit you could very easily be paying less per month for the same space.
Lisa Cannata, Agent, Falmouth, MA
Thu Aug 26, 2010
Unfortunately when you rent a room in someones private home you have to abide by their rules. It's not the same as renting a seperate home or apartment where you're the only occupant. Kind of like living with your parents.