Be careful about 381 Laurinda Ave., Long Beach Scam rental-owner wants deposit up front (send out of state), not here to show rental fee low to lure.

Asked by Kathleen Wade, Long Beach, CA Fri Feb 15, 2013

Answers

6
B’s answer
B, Renter, Long Beach, CA
Mon Feb 18, 2013
I got the same experience about 4417 Gundry Ave., Long Beach. The owner said that he is out of state and he has to take care of his oil mine business in Texas(red flag).He wants me to send the deposit using western union (which I didn't do) and he will send us the key (red flag). He actually emailed us a form to be filled out which I didn't do. The content of the application form includes Full name....DOB....occupation...and even photo. I don't want to post the name that he is using because it might just be somebody else's name. So BEWARE FOLKS!!!..
Jamie Tian, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Sat Feb 16, 2013
Thanks for the warning Kathleen. Never ever send a deposit, especially if the owner is not available to show the unit.

Like the others mentioned, is always safer to work with a real estate professional or a property management company

Feel free to go to my website at http://www.JamieTian.com and click on the "Search Homes For Sale" tab to search for homes or leases currently on the market updated in real time. This search is powered by the MLS and has more up to date and accurate data.

Jamie Tian
Rodeo Realty
(310) 717-1321
JamieTian@RodeoRE.com
DRE #01920120
Web Reference:  http://www.JamieTian.com
Phyllis McAr…, Agent, San mateo, CA
Fri Feb 15, 2013
Kawain is correct, it's best to have a Professional find you a rental. I will always refer a client to a property manager. Becasue the rental market is so scarce, IF they go to Craigslist or directly to an on line site, I will advise them to be on the look out for red flags
Kawain Payne, Agent, Seal Beach, CA
Fri Feb 15, 2013
Too bad there are people out there who make a living scamming others. The best way to make sure you are dealing with a legit rental is to work with a realtor or go directly to a property managment company.

Best of Luck to You!!

Kawain Payne, Realtor
Jeremy Lehman, Agent, Garden Grove, CA
Fri Feb 15, 2013
A LOT of rentals online are scams now. People just need to use common sense. Almost all of our listings end up as scams somewhere and sites like Trulia, Zillow, and Craigslist just can't keep up. It's brutal.
Susan Boyle, Agent, Long Beach, CA
Fri Feb 15, 2013
I had this happen to me with one of my rental properties. I posted a large warning in the living room picture window for the folks that had been directed to drive by so they could be saved any grief. They always tell you they are out of town and you need to drive by first and then send them your data and/or deposit funds. I simply posted the warning and a public tax record identifying me as the true owner, the correct rental information such as real price and my number. then I of course contacted Craig's List as well (assuming this is Craig's List too) and let them know so they could take this scammer down