Are more homeowners making their homes pet friendly for renters than in the past?

Asked by Victory Property Management, Raleigh, NC Thu Feb 9, 2012

Victory Realty 1135 Kildaire Farm Rd. Suite 200 Cary, NC 27511
Serving the Wake County Raleigh Triangle Area, Cary, Apex, Garner, Morrisville, Holly Springs, Chapel Hill, Durham

Answers

4
Robert D Hug…, Agent, Devon, PA
Thu Jul 19, 2012
Yes usually with pet deposits. The majority of families renting in my area have one or more pets.

Rob hughes- Long And Foster Realtors
Noah Fishbane, , Raleigh, NC
Thu Jul 19, 2012
The more flexible the landlord is, the easier it will be to find a tenant. However, pets can come with a price as we all know. All tenants will say that their pet is friendly and well trained, but the landlord can end up footing the bill for damages. If pets are an option for the tenant, we always recommend the landlord asking for an upfront pet fee. This can be refundable or non-refundable. Either one will usually be accepted by a tenant. In the past when I was a renter, I gladly paid non-refundable pet fees to have my dog accepted. Pets are like family members. If you have them and they are not allowed in the home you are looking at, it's a deal breaker almost every time.
Thomas Bohlm…, Agent, Rolesville, NC
Fri May 4, 2012
YES.

60% of all houses holds have pets. So it is a good idea for landlords to have pet friendly rentals.

We do on our rentals.
Robert D Hug…, Agent, Devon, PA
Thu Feb 9, 2012
In my recent experience with homeowners renting out their homes yes they are willing to accept pets on a case by case basis. Some will take cats others no-way. Some will restrict the size of the dog in their property. In my locale of Pennsylvania, the house rental market is Hot. Singles, and townhomes usually are rented within 30 days of listing.

That is why I believe most of the homeowners are pet friendly these days, as many families have pets that will be living with them. Moving them or having a relative care for them are usually not options.

Good luck, be flexible. Especially in this market.

Rob