Are landlords required to pay for water or trash in California?

Asked by E2, Highland, Joliet, IL Tue Jul 6, 2010

I am looking to rent a home in Oceanside and the landlord said I have to pay all utilities. SDG and E and Trash and water. I though they were responsible for at least the trash pickup?

Answers

7
Christopher…, Agent, Oceanside, CA
Thu Feb 27, 2014
No all utilities are a negotiated cost outlined in the lease.
Scott/Shelley…, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Jun 4, 2015
Hello E2,

If you take a longer lease sometimes you can work special pricing concessions. I would search for a home first - then negotiate the utilities. Depending on where you are looking to rent there could be competition for that same property. You could find a home with the utilities paid but you may not like the house or the area?
John Beran, Agent, Carlsbad, CA
Fri Feb 27, 2015
It is not a legal requirement from the landlord to pay for utilities. You may find some rentals where the landlord agrees to pay for utilities but make sure it is in your rental agreement. Hope this helps.
He's right, it definitely isn't a requirement. There are some cases where an apartment complex might have a dumpster on the property. Usually the landlord is in charge of paying for those expenses. I would definitely check your contract to make sure. http://metropolis-disposal.com/dumpster-rental.htm
Flag Fri Mar 27, 2015
Teresa Mayer, Home Buyer, Adelanto, CA
Thu Jun 13, 2013
California law states that trash is required to be paid by the owner of the property due to health and safety regulations. I'm not sure about the rest.
Please share where you found this information. Thanks!
Flag Mon Jul 27, 2015
Kathy Weber, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Tue Jul 6, 2010
In the area's around Temecula to San Diego, the landlord's usually do not pay for any utilties. Pools & lawns are usually paid for, but some how it'll be wrapped into the rent.

There are some condo/townhome HOA associations that are now including water & trash in their dues. Of course, the fee's have gone up anywhere from $25-$50/month.

The positive is that if you pay your own utilities, it may come out to be less money a month, rather than the landlord guessing & overcharging you every month.

Oceanside is a great area!
John Souerbry, Agent, Fairfield, CA
Tue Jul 6, 2010
Ray is right, nothing is set by law. If you were renting an apartment with a common dumpster used by many tenants, the landlord would pay for the trash. But with single family homes tenants commonly pay all utilities and trash. The landlord might also ask you to pay for lawncare, though most landlords prefer to have their own lawn crew do the work.
Ray Calnan, , Los Angeles, CA
Tue Jul 6, 2010
Everything is a negotiation. There are no rules that require landlords to pay for anything. Make sure to confirm who pays for what in the lease contract.

Ray