A rental is listed as a townhouse. The person who answered my call insists it is in a townhome community. The street is very short and all SFH.

Asked by Anita, San Jose, CA Tue Apr 2, 2013

Is this fraud?

Answers

7
charles butterfield’s answer
charles butt…, Agent, san jose, CA
Tue Apr 2, 2013
Thank you, Anita:

That link is very helpful. In most places in the link, it refers to 1148 Glenn and list the public records as 3,669 square feet on a 6,600 square foot lot.

However in the listing printout it also refers to 1148 Glenmeadow Court. That property is a 3 bedroom/2bathroom townhouse. I looked up the public records for that property. The public records say that it is condominium ownership with 1,275 square feet of living area on a 2,016 square foot lot built in 1971.

If the property is actually 1148 Glenmeadow Court, then it sounds like the person who entered the listing information merely entered the wrong address, which is actually the address for a single family house on 1148 Glenn.

Charles Butterfield MBA
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
American Realty
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Fax: (408)269-3597
Email Address: charlesbutterfieldbkr@yahoo.com
DRE#00901872
.

.
The Medford…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Tue Apr 2, 2013
There are many single family detached homes in San Jose that are either townhouses or condos because they are a part of PUD ... just as there are many townhouses that are categorized as condos and a ton of single-level units sitting on the ground with no one above them, attached to three other units … that are categorized as townhouses ...

It can be confusing, but without the address we can’t look it up to tell you what it actually is …
Anita, Renter, San Jose, CA
Tue Apr 2, 2013
1148 Glenn Ave. San Jose 95124
I am not assuming it is fraud, but when asked how the house was set up, she insisted that it was a townhome complex. I assure you it is not. Mistake maybe? What constitutes a "complex"? One SFH home divided in 2? Garage access?
Terri Vellios, Agent, Campbell, CA
Tue Apr 2, 2013
Anita,

What is the address?
Web Reference:  http://www.terrivellios.com
Cindy Davis, Agent, San Diego, CA
Tue Apr 2, 2013
None of us could possibly tell you without knowing the exact location. There are detached town homes...they do exist. Why do you assume it's fraud?
Anita, Renter, San Jose, CA
Tue Apr 2, 2013
charles butt…, Agent, san jose, CA
Tue Apr 2, 2013
Thank you Anita:

Thank you for giving us the address of the property.

The property at 1148 Glenn Avenue was built in 1998, 3,669 square feet, 6,600 lot size. No that does not sound like a townhouse.

Does the person who answers the telephone claim to be the owner of the property or does this person claim to be an agent for the owner?

If the person claims to be an agent for the owner ask this person for their DRE number. They must have a license from The State of California to act as an agent for the owner of the property. If this person gives you a DRE number, then verify that the number is for a valid and active real estate license.

I do not see this property listed for rent. This property was last listed for sale in 2011 and sold and closed escrow on March 17, 2011. The amount of the sale price was $1,645,000. I doubt that this property is for rent. I do not see any evidence that it is for rent. However one of the best ways to find out if the property really is for rent is to go out and knock on the door and talk to the person who answers the door.

I recommend that if necessary, go out to 1148 Glenn Avenue and knock on the door and ask the person who answers the door if the property is for rent. Show the person who answers the door a copy of the advertisement that you are responding to.

That is the best way to find out if the advertisement is real or not.

Charles Butterfield MBA
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
American Realty
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Fax: (408)269-3597
DRE#00901872
.