my landlord gave me a new apartment in the event that i cancel my appoint with the health dept can he show the new apartment after signing the lease

Asked by Lweems, Springfield, MA Tue Aug 2, 2011

I called the health dept after months of waiting for my landlord to make repairs in my apartment. The day before the inspector came i was issued an eviction notice. The day the inspector was coming my landlord told me he would give me an apartment in the same building thats was fixed and in better condition or he would evict me. The stipulations were that i would cancel my appointment with the inspector and that i could not let my sons father live with me (he lived with me in the current apartment) so the landlord could take him to court for back rent. the agreement was that the apartment would be ready on the 15th of July and a lease was signed by both parties and the apartment was not readyfor the 15th. Their reasoning was because there were bed bugs in the building and that it would be ready in a week. On the 23rd i came home from work to my landlord showing the apartment to potential renters and when i asked why he told me he didn't think it was a good idea for me to move in.

Answers

1
Christine Mo…, Agent, Wilbraham, MA
Tue Aug 2, 2011
That is a housing court issue. I would speak with an atty.
If you are looking for another rental I can help you in the future. Good luck.