im looking for a house to rent found one on craigslist. The owners are trying to convince me this is not a scam. But, they are not in the US.

Asked by Shelly Busha, Louisville, KY Mon Mar 5, 2012

they want me to WESTERN UNION the my money before they send me the keys. The house in question is on the market to be sold. The realtor hasnt been returning my calls. What do I do next.

Answers

9
Kim Kramer, Agent, Louisville, KY
Mon Mar 5, 2012
I had three rentals on craigslist and also Trulia. There was someone that had reposted all three of my properties for rent for less. They were asking potential renters to send the deposit then they would send them the keys. They even have a nice story about how he was a doctor doing working in Africa. It is a scam.
Shari Ramser, Agent, Jeffersonville, IN
Thu May 2, 2013
This is a SCAM! Please do your research . Never never send money to get keys to a home.
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Tue Mar 6, 2012
#1. It is a scam, don't send money..but wait..there is more!!!

#2. Find out how to notify the KY Attorney General.
#3. Communicate with the scammer to try to get them to use the post office or a bank service. (These are covered by state and federal laws)
For instance....I've got you CASH were can I mail it?
For instance...Have your representative call me to pick up the money.
For instance...Send me a preapaid FEDEX envelope and I'll send you the money. (seeking return address)

Get them to use one of the services that are governed by USA law. Then the Attorney General can take action. You may want to set up a Google Voice account so all calls can be recorded.

So, if you have time, have some fun. See if you can get them to spend some of their money. Keep a copy of everything including the caller ID when they call you to implore you to follow their instructions. Have fun with it.

I've got three FEDEX envelops at $5 a pop. No, I don't feel guilty getting a Nigerian scammer to pay for these FedEx mailers. Yep, I got the caller ID, it was NIGERIA! See if you can top that.
Michael O'Br…, Agent, Monmouth, NJ
Tue Mar 6, 2012
meet with the agent before giving a check. True that people might be out of the country and unable to meet with you but in that case they would usaully hire an agent or property manager to show the rental and collect rent for them. I would be very careful
Jim Simms, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Louisville, KY
Tue Mar 6, 2012
Hi Shelly, this topic made the notes in the Louisville Board of Realtors last week that went out to all of the Realtor’s. Do not send money to them. If you want to give money away, I am free for lunch tomorrow.
Todd Schulz, , Kentucky
Tue Mar 6, 2012
RUN DON'T WALK!! Never send money to anyone you can't meet up front. You can also verify the owners information at the local county PVA office. Renters have to be extra diligent in these times. You can always ask a local agent for help in finding a rental.
Elliott R. O…, Agent, McLean, VA
Mon Mar 5, 2012
The whole point of Craigslist is for people to be able to connect and do business with others in their community face to face. Craigslist is a great resource on many levels but rule number one is if some asks you for money and they refuse to meet you face to face, it's most likely a scam.

There are always a lot of good rentals on Craigslist but just use a little caution.
David Yunker, Agent, Prospect, KY
Mon Mar 5, 2012
DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY IT IS A WELL DOCUMENTED SCAM! What is the address of the home I will let you know of its availability.
Web Reference:  http://www.yunkerhomes.com
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Mon Mar 5, 2012
it's a scam. run, don't walk, in the opposite direction. Whenever they want you to Western Union money to a landlord you haven't me, for a house that you haven't been inside of.... it's a scam.