i was convicted of a felony when i was 17, that was 13 years ago for theft, how does this look for my rental contract background check?

Asked by Allan, 30135 Thu Jan 26, 2012

Answers

4
Florentine22, Both Buyer And Seller, Seattle, WA
Fri Jan 27, 2012
Federal law prohibits reporting of criminal information once it is 7 years past the date of last disposition. There are companies that report it to landlords, but this is not in the best interest of that landlord considering that it technically can not be used against you in the qualification process.
You were also a juvenile, so it is likely that the information would not appear on the record regardless.

Hope this helps.
Michael Toba…, Agent, Douglasville, GA
Thu Jan 26, 2012
Hi Allen,

Like the previous answers it all depends on how strict and understanding the rental manager or person leasing the property is. If it was an adult felony it most likely would be looked on more seriously. Be honest and come clean that you have the felony conviction because it will be discovered eventually anyway when the landlord does their due diligence and does a background check along with the credit check.. You must show a strong work record and have a clean record afterward to prove that you have become straight.

Good luck and I hope that you find an understanding person making the decision who can overlook the conviction because you are now an upstanding person
Laquita Baez, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Thu Jan 26, 2012
Allan, i think that would be tough question to answer. I guess it all depends on whom you apply for housing
with and if they personally will dismiss your felony or hold it against you. My opinion would be to just apply for
the rental wherever you choose but be honest in your application as far as your background and see if the
property managers/ owners will work with you.
Web Reference:  http://www.LaQuitaBaez.com
Lisa Drobney, , Kennesaw, GA
Thu Jan 26, 2012
Some apartment property managers have a strict "no felony" rule.
Were you convicted as a minor or adult?
If adult, you may find difficulty with apartments. But, single-family property managers have more leeway. I would highly consider you with strong employment, good rental history and average credit.