how can i get my monney back from a scam artist?

Asked by Clytismiller, Phoenix, AZ Wed Sep 11, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Wed Sep 11, 2013
since the information you shared is very limited, we can only guess, and offer abstract suggestions.

I am going to take a stab at this, though............was this a rental scam?

Did you wire money (for keys) for a rental you never saw in person.............did the "landlord" give you a story as to why he was out of the area and couldn't show you the home in person?
Was the rent so low it seemed too good to be true? ( that's because it wasn't true)

All of the above are red flags that say............ RUN in the opposite direction.

if this is what occurred to you....there probably isn't much you can do at this point...if it was a listing on trulia, you can report it so they can take it down....but, unfortunately, if this is your situation - your money is gone........just learn so you don't repeat this in the future.

Always verify you are dealing with the real owner or property manager.
Better yet, work with an agent who can verify this for you.

And, if what I described above did not happen to you, then perhaps someone else reading this can make sure it never happens to them!
1 vote
marv, , New York, NY
Wed Sep 11, 2013
That's a Million $$ question. What was the scam? Do you know his name and do you know where he/she lives? What were the circumstances? Have you reported the incident to the Police? I would need to know a lot more info before being able to answer your question. In 99,99% of the instances, scam artists have nothing that you can sue them for. In many instances one has to move on and forget about, learn from it and prevent it from happening in the future. Contact with the info as requested above and you will get a more definitive answer.
1 vote
Doug McVinua, Agent, Gilbert, AZ
Thu Sep 12, 2013
What was the scam? Tell us more about the circumstances and maybe we can help some.
0 votes
Randy Rutled…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Wed Sep 11, 2013
call the cops to see if you can file a report. The AZ. Attorney General is where to file complaints of fraud and scams. They have the power.
0 votes
Raoul Lousta…, Agent, glendale, AZ
Wed Sep 11, 2013
get in touch with the police now
0 votes
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Wed Sep 11, 2013
depending on the "scam" the police and file a an any regulatory board that oversees the person's industry
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more