Rental Basics in 33543>Question Details

Jjgorki, Other/Just Looking in 33543

can a couple rent an apartment when just one spouse files bankruptsy but need both incomes to qualify?

Asked by Jjgorki, 33543 Tue Mar 9, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:


Your question is best answered by an attorney or the owner/property manager with whom you are dealing. Either the owner will or wont. If you wish to press it there is where an attorney would be needed. As evidenced by previous answers there will be a million opinions to your question.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 9, 2010

Does the other spouse have good credit? If so, that should make the landlord more receptive. It may be easier for you to rent a unit in a 2-4 unit building from a private person.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 9, 2010
You will have to inquire with your agent or the landlord of the property that you are interested in as to what the landlord requires. It may be that both applicants must be reviewed especially if credit and background are checked. The party with the bankruptcy may be asked to provide additional information. Good Luck.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 9, 2010
It all depends on the propertymanager, some will rent to you if you put down a double security deposit, others might want more, you need 3 times the rent as total houshold income (gross) just to qualify financially.
Your best bet if you dont qualify for an appartment, which is most stringent , try to rent from a private owner, they will work with you better, and are a lot more flexible, especially if he has property that has been vacant for a while, and make sure the person you are dealing with is actually the owner, or the property manager, make sure you get proof,.
It wont be easy but it can be done, if one says no, go to another one..
Good luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 9, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer