Will I get my deposit back?

Asked by swubeshet, Los Angeles, CA Wed Oct 31, 2012

I had put down a $600 deposit that was guaranteed to me on the day of my move out. It's a October 31st, rent is due tomorrow, however a huge emergency occurred and I have to move out by tomorrow morning. Granted I leave my apartment exactly the way it was when I had originally moved in, am I entitled to that money or is it too late of a notice? I live in Los Angeles, CA and my rental agreement was month-to-month, nothing was signed- only a verbal agreement and 1 piece of paper outlining that I would receive my money back on the day of my move out. Side-note, my roommate is extremely irrational and mean :(

Answers

4
Douglas Perez (213) 200-7114’s answer
Douglas Perez…, Home Buyer, Los Angeles, CA
Wed Oct 31, 2012
I'm sorry about your emergency and hope things are coming along fine.

You are entitled to your deposit within 21 days of moving out minus rent loss to your landlord by not giving a 30-day notice to move out.

Ron Escobar -…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Wed Oct 31, 2012
Unfortunately on situations like this, what you are entitle to, and what you get are probably two very different things... many people do whatever they want despite the law and good ethics -or whatever they can get away with...

Your situation is complicated to ascertain based on the provided facts, but whether you have the right or not, you may not get anything and the best way to enforce it if you deserve it is to file a claim on small claims court... is rather easy, but I am not sure if $600 is worth your time and effort... also just because you get a judgement in your favor, it does not mean that it would be easy to collect...

My advice try sweet talk and psychology... if that does not work, move on and enjoy a good life knowing that you are a better person...

Best of luck!

If you like my answer and find it useful, please give it a thumbs up!

RonE
Janey Bishop, Agent, Calabasas, CA
Wed Oct 31, 2012
Be aware if you are a roommate versus a tenant there are much different rules. If you were the roommate would you think it was fair for your roommate to move out with no notice and expect full money back? With 30 days notice she could have found a new roommate but now she is stuck. If you want money back then pay the rent and help her find a new roommate.
Jane Peters, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Wed Oct 31, 2012
The short answer is, probably not. Month to month or not, you still have to give one month's notice. But this is a question for tenants hotline.
Web Reference:  http://www.homejane.com