Rental Basics in Sacramento>Question Details

Ali, Other/Just Looking in 63108

Who pays the realtor's fee for rental?

Asked by Ali, 63108 Sat May 11, 2013

I'm looking to rent a house in Sacramento. Who pays for the realtor's finders fee if I choose to use one to help me find a home to rent? My understanding is that it varies by the geographical market.... What is the case in Sac? Thanks!

I'm a landlord and I never pay the agent fee. If an agent submits an application on behalf of a renter, I won't accept it if there is a fee demand attached. Our rental market has been good for many years and we can fill vacancies quickly without the agent fee expense. If a renter wants to pay an agent to help them find a rental, that's between the renter and their agent.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 11, 2013
I disagree with the first three answers and agree with the question poster. It does vary by geographical area. I think we might find that Manhattan dwellers sometimes pay a fee to find housing. Let's get a New Yorker to answer that question.

Yes the usual situation is that renters in Sacramento come unrepresented. If you buy a house, you have the choice to have an agent that represents you, but is paid by the seller

If you want an agent to represent you (instead of one that works exclusively for the landlord) to find and negotiate a residential rental, you will likely have to pay for that yourself.

Because very few rental house hunters want to pay for this service, very few practitioners offer it. If available rental homes become scarce for an extended period of time, more agents would begin to offer a tenant paid service.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 11, 2013
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
The property owner that contracts with the property manager, pays the property manager. The property manager is responsible for the advertising and promotion of the rental property. However, there are some companies that provide a service to find a rental for people who are looking to rent. In that case, the person looking for the rental pays a fee to the company that provides the service. This is not as common in Sacramento, with the introduction of free services such as Craigslist.

Rick Otto
Web Reference:
You would most likely be dealing with a property manager, in which case the landlord pays them, some property managers also collect a fee from tenant for showing/processing.

Generally you go to each property manager that represents the landlord- the inventory is not shared between property managers, a little different than the home buying process where you have your real estate agent and they have access to all the homes listed (not just their inventory)

When you visit the rental section of Trulia look for the contact information or link to the property managers website for showing and rental info. Most property managers have a website listing all their current available properties.
Web Reference:
The Landlord is the one who pays the Realtor. Most Realtors don't deal with rentals. I would contact a leasing company that specializes in renters.
We manage property - always owner/landlord.
It is usually the landlord / owner.