Brenda Logan…, Home Buyer in Pittsburgh, PA

Who is to pay for the cleaning of the carpets after a tenant moves out?

Asked by Brenda Logan King, Pittsburgh, PA Sat Mar 16, 2013

My landlord took the cleaning of the carpets out of my deposit. They were pretty clean when I left after only a year of living there. Only a little traffic dirt. Should I have to pay for this?

Answers

3
Great Apts f…, Landlord, pgh, PA
Wed Mar 27, 2013
As a landlord, I say that the tenant pays for the cleaning. After all, who dirtied the carpet. Even its its not dirty by your standards, if you had a baby, would you let him crawl on the floor, especially if you're the new tenant? I doubt it. So i don't agree with with Joan S. If the landlord wants you to have it cleaned, you can be sure that he wants it cleaned for everybody who moves in. Makes sense to me.
Blair W. Coh…, Agent, Monroeville, PA
Sat Mar 16, 2013
It depends on the terms of your lease. Some lease require that the tenant have the carpet cleaned at time of vacating. If it is not a term of the lease and it was clean when the tenant moved into the property and the tenant has vacated and the carpet is much dirtier then the tenant may find that the security deposit may have this deducted from it but the owner must submit to the tenant a list of repairs required and receipt for remedation within 30 days of the tenant vacating and returning all keys.
Joann Snyder, Agent, Coraopolis, PA
Sat Mar 16, 2013
The landlord should pay for this but if he took it out of your deposit and didn't tell you up front then you have an arguement in court.How hard do you want to fight for your money?