When renting a house should the owner pay the utilities or do the tenants pay?

Asked by Elamarilyn, Pacoima, CA Fri Oct 19, 2012

Me and my family are renting a house in rowland heights ca for about 8months now And we currently pay for all the utilities. I heard that the owner should be paying for some of the utilities. Is this true?

Answers

6
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Mon Oct 22, 2012
Hi, Typically the tenant pays for their utilities but there are cases when the landlord does. I think it's better the tenant does because tyou don't know how much they are going to use.

Chris
Jessica Acker, Agent, Santa Monica, CA
Mon Oct 22, 2012

As an agent and property manager I rent houses often. Most of the time the tenant will pay for gas, electricity, water/sewer, and trash. The owner generally keeps on paying for the gardener to guarantee the lawn is maintained. In cases where the house is priced high and it is not renting, you can drop the price or offer to pay gas or electricity.

When an owner pays a utility bill I have found that it is generally higher than when a tenant pays the bill. The tenant is has more of an awareness and interest in keeping the costs down when they are ultimately footing the bill.

If your current lease does not require your tenants to pay the utilities, I don't think there is too much you can do this time around.

Jessica Acker
Wellman Realty Company
310-828-3132
Hi Jessica - do you generally have your tenants put the utilities in their own names? Or do you keep the utilities in your name and forward them the bills to pay? Thanks!
Flag Wed Sep 7, 2016
Tristam Biel…, Agent, South Pasadena, CA
Thu Apr 16, 2015
No - mostly the landlord will not pay utilities. You can negotiate it but most landlords will not offer to pay, however they may pay for gardener and/or pool maintenance.
alyssiafurat…, , Rowland Heights, CA
Thu Apr 16, 2015
yes that is very true
your landlord or tenant should be paying for your utilities
you shouldn't be paying for that at all so i advise that you call your landlord and talk to he or she about having them pay for your utilities or even compromise that you pay some and he/she pay some.
John Souerbry, Agent, Fairfield, CA
Fri Oct 19, 2012
I agree with Skip. Very seldom does the landlord pay utilities, since they would have no control over how much electricity, water or gas you use.
The bottom line, of course, is what you agreed to in the lease.
Walter 'Skip'…, Agent, Brea, CA
Fri Oct 19, 2012
It is the norm that the tenant pay for all utilities. Items like lawn or pool maintanence are often paid by the landlord.