When is the best time to look for rentals?

Asked by Deanna Bustamante, San Jose, CA Mon Jan 30, 2012

Apartments/studios/small homes.

Answers

4
charles butt…, Agent, san jose, CA
Mon Jan 30, 2012
Thank you, Again Deanna:

Update on my first answer: I checked with one of my clients who owns rental property in Santa Clara. My client has a tenant who has said that he plans on moving out soon. Would you consider Santa Clara to rent? If so, I may have a place for you to rent.

For more information please call me on my cell phone.(408)509-6218

Charles Butterfield
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
American Realty
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Fax: (408)269-3597
Email Address: charlesbutterfieldbkr@yahoo.com
DRE#00901872
Robert Chome…, , San Diego, CA
Mon Jan 30, 2012
You can usually find lower rents during the winter time because of the least demand. The highest demand is the summer months because families are moving because schcool is out. I know this because I have rental properties and I get far more interest in late spring/summer vs. late fall/winter.
Andrea Wince…, Agent, Milpitas, CA
Mon Jan 30, 2012
The best time to look is when you need to move. The majority of available rental units are usually vacant and are looking for a tenant to move in as soon as possible. You may have some overlap from an old place to a new place (paying rent in both places) because the new rental might not wait the full 30 days notice you most likely need to give your current landlord. Here on Trulia, there is a good rental section as well as Cragslist and Apartments.com depending on the type of rental you are looking for.
charles butt…, Agent, san jose, CA
Mon Jan 30, 2012
Thank you Deanna:

Unfortunately there is an enormous demand for rental property right now. Rental rates are being pushed upward rather rapidly.

Essentially in this valley there never is a good time to look for rental property.

I recommend that you consider a purchase using a 30 year fixed rate loan. Mortgage rates are the lowest that they have been in 50 years. Those rates will be going back up in the future because of inflationary pressures, and those rates will not be coming back down.

If you purchase your home with a 30 years fixed rate loan now, you will lock in your housing costs and you will have your housing costs predictable and you know that the payments on your mortgage cannot go up.

However with rents, we know that the rents will continue to go up. In a few short years the cost of your mortgage will be much less than you would be paying in rent for a similar property..

Charles Butterfield MBA
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
American Realty
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Fax: (408)269-3597
DRE#00901872