Slj32, Renter in Philadelphia, PA

What to do if landlord hasn't returned security deposit and won't return calls?

Asked by Slj32, Philadelphia, PA Tue Aug 10, 2010

I vacated my apartment on June 30th. As of August 10th, I have not received my security deposit back nor any communication regarding it, even though I had sent my landlord my forwarding address one month before moving. On August 1st, I sent a certified letter again stating my new address and also left a voicemail verbally stating my new address and saying that I had again sent the address to him. The certified letter was accepted Saturday morning, but I still haven't received anything, nor have any of my calls been returned. How long should I wait before filing small claims? Is there anything else I should do before filing small claims?

Help the community by answering this question:


sjuparent’s answer
did you rent from PSY Properties? We are having the same situation and have filed a notice with the Attorney General's Office in PA. If you rented from this company, please file with this office. If we can get a bunch of people who rented from them and did not get their deposit back, they will be able to investigate.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 29, 2012
I know this thread is a bit inactive but is your case against PSY still active? My lease ended on June 30, 2013 and I have yet to receive any money back or written notice of any damages.
Flag Fri Aug 2, 2013
I wasn't able to do a walkthrough when I left the apartment because the landlord wouldn't return my calls to set up an appointment. I did clean the place top to bottom and didn't break anything, but I couldn't wait around after the move date because I had everything packed in the moving truck and had to start work on the other side of the state. But do I even need to prove that the place was in good condition? I also thought that after the 30 days the landlord gives up all rights to charge for any damages or anything in Pennsylvania. It looks like I'm going to have to go to court, I just don't know if there is a certain timeframe I should do it in.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 10, 2010
You need have the property documented condition when you moved out in order file small claims

Return of deposit is governed by the executed lease agreement .

I would not wait if you have fulfilled the executed lease then file small claims against property owner.

Make sure you include in the claim copy of certified return receipt and pictures attach the lease highlight area of deposit return

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 10, 2010
I agree. The terms of the return of funds should be in the lease. Usually 30 days. Ensure you document everything. When you tried calling, certified letters sent, etc. Small claims may be your only response.

Terrence Charest
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 10, 2010
As i understand the landlord tenant act in PA, which you should go to the library or search online and read, the landlord must return the security deposit with an itemized list of any deductions within 30 days. After 30 days, you have the right to file a claim for double the amount. In our area, we go to the local district justice and file. Its a much more informal type of hearing.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 10, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer