What steps should I take to prepare to rent my home?

Asked by Ladderup, Hurley, NY Wed Mar 9, 2011

What legal steps should I take to prepare to rent my home? How do I prepare the house/yard that will best protect the property? Where can I get advice on creating a lease?

Answers

1
Ralph Windsc…, Agent, Hauppauge, NY
Thu Mar 10, 2011
Check local ordinances regarding rentals to see if you need rental permits. On Long Island, in most instances, when using a realtor to rent, the tenant usually pays. From my understanding that's usually not the case in your area (my parents live in your area) where the landlord pays. You may want to use a realtor to screen potential tenants by obtaining credit reports and business and personal references. Also, you may want to consider asking for two months security instead of one with the idea that if they have enough money to pay the first month's rent plus two additoinal months, they have a decent job and some money in the bank. If you have an attorney, you may want to ask him/her for some insight on your rights as landlord before renting. You could also go on line for form leases or ask your attorney for a standardized form. Good luck.

Ralph Windschuh
Associate Broker
Certified Buyer Representative
Senior Real Estate Specialist
Century 21 Princeton Properties
631-467-0009
rwindschuh@c21princetonproperties.com
http://www.c21princetonproperties.com