Andrew Wilki…, Trulia Community Manager in San Francisco, CA

What is usually expected to be maintained by the tenant vs the landlord?

Asked by Andrew Wilkinson, San Francisco, CA Thu Feb 23, 2012

Answers

2
Keith & Kins…, Agent, Verona, WI
Thu Feb 23, 2012
It depends on what is written into your rental agreement. My tenants maintain the lawn (mow, rake, trim, etc), shovel the snow, and change light bulbs. Other than that, the rest of the maintenance is my responsibility. Some of our tenants change their own furnace filters too, but we don't require it, it's their preference.
Chuck Smith , Agent, Decatur, GA
Thu Feb 23, 2012
Andrew,

This really depends on your lease. Typically I have seen that landlords are responsible for the major systems throughout the home (appliances, roof, plumbing, electrical, etc) as well as any other minor repairs. Often times landlords will also maintain the landscaping and the pest control as well, but other times tenants are responsible for those items. If you are willing to maintiain those items, you may be able to negotiate down the monthly rent.

Read any lease carefully before signing and let us know if you have any other questions!

Amy McDaniel
The Chuck Smith Group
#1 Real Estate Sales Team in DeKalb County