What is the security of people renting out a place on Trulia?

Asked by skipper0203, San Diego, CA Wed Jul 31, 2013

I found a home in the location I have been looking for and the rent is almost to good to be true. I used the "request more info" button and I am in email contact with the actual homeowner who is now in Africa. I just always hear about scams and want to be sure there is security that takes place before people can post a home on here.

Answers

8
David Rudd, Agent, San Diego, CA
Mon Sep 30, 2013
Listen to all of the other real estate professionals here. It is most likely a scam.

I used to work in banking as an executive, I would get very wealthy people coming to me with official looking letters. They won money, someone found millions that is rightfully theirs etc etc. The one thing that drove each of these people to want to believe this letter was real was greed.

My guess is this home you are looking at is an AMAZING deal, under priced by hundreds compared to others in the neighborhood -

Work with a real estate professional or a professional rental agency is my best advise.

Best of luck!
David Rudd
Kindred Real Estate
Maureen Bye…, Agent, Oceanside, CA
Mon Aug 19, 2013
no...stay away...red flag...scam..
Web Reference:  http://www.coastal.biz
Richelle Szc…, Agent, La Jolla, CA
Wed Jul 31, 2013
If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is (even on this site). Please always proceed with caution! Do not divulge banking information, etc...
Neil Fjelles…, Other Pro, San Diego, CA
Wed Jul 31, 2013
Let's see..."rent is almost too good to be true"....you're communicating through email only....actual owner is on the other side of the world...Yep. If you've heard about scams then you know this has all the elements to be on that scam list so you can be pretty sure this is a scam. There is no way that Trulia, Zillow, Craigslist or any advertising source can guarantee against scams. The good news is scams are very consistent in their elements so there are fairly easy to spot and avoid. The bad news is that even when spotted and labelled some people will bite on the most obvious bait. Then again, lottery tickets still sell even when the odds are printed on the ticket.
Royce Kemp, Agent, San Diego, CA
Wed Jul 31, 2013
Complete scam! Do not, I repeat, do not send this person any money.
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Wed Jul 31, 2013
I'm glad;
I really hate it when the bad guys win!
skipper0203, Renter, San Diego, CA
Wed Jul 31, 2013
Thanks Ron, yeah I looked more into the email and googled Trulia Scams and got a lot of info. I think I found a scam before I gave out any info.
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Wed Jul 31, 2013
There is no SECULITY; no guarantees!!
People have to be careful and aware.
You are responsible for your own mistakes.