What is the best way to secure a rental in San Francisco? Are there certain things I should bring to the viewing to increase my chances?

Asked by Angela Porter, Tue Apr 3, 2012

I have viewed a couple apartments in San Francisco. I've looked through the listings, and set up viewings. I go and view the apartment, like it and decide to put in an application. By the time I get home and get the documentation needed to apply, the apartment has already been rented. Should I have a pre-filled application when I go to view an apartment so I am prepared in case I like it?

Answers

4
sfdragonboy, Home Owner, San Francisco, CA
Sun Apr 8, 2012
I am a home owner who has rented out space in SF so here is what I would recommend:

1) check rental boards, like Craigslist or here, very very often. When I listed one of my places, I received 50 emails in a matter of hours. You need to pounce on a great rental as soon as it shows up.

2) have an up to date credit report ready to hand to the owner

3) i was impressed with an applicant who came with a generic rental application already filled out. Most of these are similar and I appreciated the time it saved.

4) Be very very prompt, if not early, to your appointment. Be very professional. Treat this as a job interview since you will be competing with a lot of people.

5) Do not ask for changes or concessions from the get go. Owners will simply think you are one of those tenants who will be calling very single minute.

Hope this helps. Good luck!!!
David Tran, Home Buyer, San Francisco, CA
Wed Apr 4, 2012
Money talks. Offer more than asking.
California R…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Tue Apr 3, 2012
Have copies of your credit report, application, job offer, landlord and work references for the landlord or rental agent. You might take a check to give as a good faith deposit the day you see the rental you wany and it shows how serious you are along with your documents. Email me if you need a rental and I have listings and I can grip you. Go to http://www.sfdreamleasing.com. Email me at markavenegas@gmail.com
David Tapper, Agent, Burlingame, CA
Tue Apr 3, 2012
Good question, Angela. There are a few things you can do. Get a copy of your credit report and make copies so you have it handy. Provide a list of of referrences who can speak up for you, and try and get your previous landlord to vouch for you, not just your current one.

Your current landlord might not like you and can't wait to get rid of you, so you cannot always take their advice as a landlord.

Tap