What are some tips for renters to negotiate lease renewal terms?

Asked by Trulia Boston, Boston, MA Mon Nov 26, 2012

Answers

5
Angela Guo, Agent, Brookline, MA
Wed Feb 20, 2013
This varies from LL to LL, the best course of action is just to ask. Have a realistic idea of what terms you think are reasonable and don't be pushy about it. The demand for good housing far exceeds the supply but if you are particularly pleasant and make yourself a desirable tenant LL's may find it worth negotiating to keep you around.

But when in doubt, go to your realtor. Ideally they're fabulous people who would love to help answer your questions :)

Happy Hunting

-Angela
James Furlong, Agent, Brookline, MA
Wed Nov 28, 2012
When you are dealing with a larger landlord or a management company it is most likely that the only element that will drive the discussion is the current market conditions - and today in Boston you can expect the rent to increase. A smaller landlord, or an owner occupied property will be more likely to consider subjective elements - you pay the rent on time, are neat and tidy etc. Good Luck.
CH Naamad, Agent, Boston, MA
Tue Nov 27, 2012
I 'd say you would be having a good deal if the LL does not increase your rent. This market is very tight and LLs know it very well.
Best of luck.
John Dean, Agent, Boston, MA
Tue Nov 27, 2012
I have to agree this is a tricky question as it would depend on the unit's location, condition ect. I have heard that sometimes landlords are agreeable to a rate reduction if you pay in advance ie. per quarter. I would make a call to speak with a rental real estate agent to see if there are any laws that may prohibit that negotiation.
Mario Pavli, Agent, Boston, MA
Tue Nov 27, 2012
It all depends on the actual unit and how desirable the area is. The rental market being the way it is, the prices are only increasing. If the renter is going to stay here for more than 1 year than they can sign a 1 year+ lease so the rent won't increase. Yet again it could be risky cause the market changes so it can potentially backfire too.

Best Of Luck