What are some tips for renters before signing a lease?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Tue Mar 6, 2012

What are some things to be aware of? What are some tips when negotiating a lease?

Answers

4
Michelle Buc…, Agent, Washington, DC
Tue Mar 6, 2012
Zaza's answer is a good one. I would go a step further and take photos of any pre existing conditions. Find out who you call and what the procedure is if you need a repair to your apartment like a leaky faucet or if the oven does not work. Ask who manages the apartment and/or building.

I hope this information helps you. Please contact me if you have any other real estate questions. Good luck with you apartment.

Michelle Buckman

Licensed in DC, MD, VA
W.C. & A.N. Miller (A Long & Foster Co.)
http://www.buckmanrealtor.com
michelle@buckmanrealtor.com
Chris Schill…, Agent, Houston, TX
Wed Mar 7, 2012
Tip #1
Make sure that you have "diplomatic clause". Different markets call it different things, but ultimately this is the portion of the contract that spells out clearly what the terms are for both notice and cost for you to be able to get out of your lease early. Life happens....you change jobs, win the lottery, get married, get divorced, lose a job....or need to move because your just hate the place. Whatever happens, know ahead of time what it takes for you to break your lease and how much it will cost you to do so.

Tip #2
Ask them which floor plans they have in the greatest quantity. Most apartments keep track of which units are in shorter supply and adjust their pricing upwards as demand increases. They also lower prices when they have an abundance of a particular floor plan. You can find a great deal by asking about their current inventory!

If you like my answer, give me the "Thumbs Up" if you really liked it, honor me with awarding me the "Best Answer". I really do appreciate it!

Chris Schilling, ABR, CRS, GRI, GREEN
Broker-Founder
Turbo Realty
chris@turborealty.com
Zaza Pasori, Agent, Washington, DC
Mon May 21, 2012
Read your lease documents, Most of the people dont read their lease before signing it.

Good Luck

Zaza Pasori | Realty Resource, LLC
2722 Connecticut Avenue NW
72, Washington, DC 20008
Cell:202-412-5221 Office:703-437-5580

Equal Housing Opportunity

Principal Broker: Realty Resource, LLC 715 Tonquin Pl, Leesburg, VA 20176
Zaza Pasori, Agent, Washington, DC
Tue Mar 6, 2012
I would have a walk through before I sign the lease If I were you,and make a list of the pre-existing conditions to avoid future liabilities.