1. Make sure you have reliable references.
2. Always keep receipts or reliable records of rental payments.
3. Ask your previous o write you a recommendation as a tenant.
4. Know what your credit report says. So you can support or defend any thing that comes up.
5. Work with a lender to repair or bring up your credit score.
6. Check with a lender, you may qualify for a loan to buy instead of renting the payments could be lower in some cases.
7. Be sure to read the Lease & understand what it is saying. Read all small print.
8. Voice questions & concerns.
9. Have any agreements or changes in the lease put in writing so you are protected.
10. Many Lawyers & Realtors would be happy to go over the lease with you. Be sure you are protected before you sign the lease.
11. If Military be sure you have a Military clause installed in the lease to protect yourself if deployed before lease is up.
12. Make a copy of lease & keep on file.