What are some good questions to ask when renting a home that most people don't consider?

Asked by Trulia Naples, Naples, FL Tue Jan 15, 2013

Answers

9
stellaray57’s answer
stellaray57, Home Buyer, Naples, FL
Wed Oct 2, 2013
With all of the foreclosures and properties abandoned for some time, I would certainly want an inspection for mold/moisture/Chinese drywall issues...so you aren't moving into an unhealthy place. Also, be sure to check former owner's mo'ly electricity costs; it can be a real eye opener. Best bet is to call a professional Realtor in the area.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sun Jan 20, 2013
These are all wonderful suggestions but we would like to add the importance of requesting in special assistance is available in the event of an emergency situation. Some high rise buildings do offer this convenience for special needs residents.

Also, what is the guest policy and is there a maximum number of people limit per bedroom?

Do they allow pick up trucks and/or motor cycles?
Dorene Clark, Agent, NAPLES, FL
Sun Jan 20, 2013
This is really a Good Point.
According to me the most important questions are:
Who will be responsible for Utilities?
The lease Duration.
If there is any Restriction.
etc.
Dom Ceruzzi, Agent, Naples, FL
Wed Jan 16, 2013
Depending on where the rental is located: will I be allowed to use Golf, Tennis or Dining Facilities? What are the fees?
Nancy Linder, Agent, Port Charlotte, FL
Tue Jan 15, 2013
I answers that are given already are great. I am rental property owner myself (not in Naples), Here's a few more to add:

- Who do I contact for repairs and how long does it take for someone to come make the repair from the time of my call?

- Are there any repairs that I am required by the lease to pay for myself?

-Who is responsible for the Utilities? What do the utilities cost for the house? (ask for a few past bills to verify)

- What appliances are guaranteed with the lease and which are not repaired or replaced if something happens to them?

- I want to see the move-in and move-out condition sheets. I want to see the move-out condition fees for repairs that will be considered outside "typical wear and tear".
Miekeba Jones, Agent, Silver Spring, MD
Tue Jan 15, 2013
Hi Trulia Naples, Asking if a rental has passed an inspection is a question that most renters do not consider.
Peggy Wagner-…, Agent, Bonita Springs, FL
Tue Jan 15, 2013
I find that particularly young people do not think about what happens at the end of the contract. Now is the time to negotiate what will happen at the end of the lease.

1. Assuming that you would like to buy at some point, try to negotiate for it to roll over to a month-to-month rental after the first (usually) 12 months.
2. If you do decide to stay longer, is there an automatic increase in rent built in or will it remain the same for another signed lease?
3. Even if you are planning to move, with a month-to-month, it gives you the opportunity to look at your leisure until you locate the new place - whether buying or renting.
4. And yes, be sure the person you're speaking with is the actual owner and that they are not about ready to be foreclosed on.
Luis Benedito, Agent, Naples, FL
Tue Jan 15, 2013
Is this a "Short Sale"? Is the landlord facing foreclosure? Any late payments to the association?
Carmen Badan, Agent, Naples, FL
Tue Jan 15, 2013
Does your lease contract renew automatically?
http://rentals.naplesrealestatemls.com