We own a duplex in Culver City, CA. We are not rent controlled and have a month to month

Asked by L, 90232 Thu Nov 20, 2008

tenant. Do we need to pay a relocation fee to them if we want them to move out?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Shel-lee Dav…, Agent, Rolling Hills Estates, CA
Thu Nov 20, 2008

This is an excellent question for a Landlord/Tenant Rights Attorney or your property manager. If you have one, ask them.

I will give you my experience on this matter, however, I caution you that laws change regularly and some cities have laws that are different from the state laws (and I sold my last California residential rental unit right before the market started to crash about two years ago). You are best served by speaking with an attorney or property management firm that specializes in your area.

I follow the terms for notice to vacate in the rental agreement and the laws in the state of California for notice to vacate. The last time I had to serve such a notice, California law required a 30 day notice for tenancy under one year and a 60 day notice for tenancy of one year and over. I then met with the tenant and did a move out walk through and sent them their deposit, less any justifiable withholdings substantiated by actual receipts, within 7 days. No fuss, no muss as they used to say. Hope this helps and Dare to Dream.

Shel-lee Davis
Real Estate Consultant
RE/MAX Palos Verdes Realty
1 vote
Heather Paul, Agent, Santa Monica, CA
Sat Oct 8, 2011
Depending how long their original lease was you will either need to give them a 30 day or 60 day notice to terminate the lease. I highly recommend contacting a local Realtor or an attorney for all your detailed questions and circumstances, they will be able to guide you through the process.

Have a great day,
Heather Paul, Realtor
Coldwell Banker
0 votes
JD Songstad, Agent, Santa Monica, CA
Tue Sep 28, 2010
Based on the information above you should just need to comply with CA renter laws. This would mean giving a 30-60 day notice. But you are always best off checking with an real estate attorney just to make sure before you take action.
Web Reference:  http://MrWestside.com
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more