We live in Mass. and have owned our condo for 7 yrs. The board of trusties have just given permission for one

Asked by Joyce Lew, Canton, MA Tue Dec 30, 2008

condo owner to rent their condo. The docs are fairly loose in this area it said we need to rent for more than 7 days have a lease and to have permission from the trusties. There are 66 units in our complex all owner occupied. There is a possiblity they might not give us permission to rent. I informed them that Freddy Mac and Fannie Mae guide lines are no more than 40% of the units can be leased. My question is if they already gave permission to one unit owner to rent would it be discrimination,fair housing act, not letting us rent our unit if we can not sell it. JLL

Answers

2
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Tue Dec 30, 2008
HOA regulations govern what property owners can can not do. Recommend take your HOA rules confer with attorney .
Web Reference:  http://www.lynn911.com
Cynthia Flem…, Agent, Laguna Niguel, CA
Tue Dec 30, 2008
Were there special circumstances involved with the unit that was given permission? It's hard to say, especially if it's written in the CC&R's. However, if they've allowed one owner to rent, there should be an amendment to the CC&R's detailing specifically...under which circumstances this will be allowed. Is there an HOA meeting coming up anytime soon? This issue should definitely be addressed. It would be horrible to lose your home because you cannot sell it when you have the opportunity to rent it out and stay above board. I wish you luck and keep me posted on how things work out. I'm originally from Medfield MA and have a sister in law who was from Canton. I also worked for Reebok for 10 years and they were headquartered in Canton. Miss those days...How's the weather been? Take Care, Cynthia