WHY DO CONDO ASSOCIATIONS ONL ALLOW 1 RENTAL PER YEAR? SOMWTIMES A RENTER 'DEFAULTS' ON A LEASE, AND THE OWNER HAS TO RE-RENT, ITS NOT

Asked by Cheryl Mays, Boca Raton, FL Wed Nov 4, 2009

THEIR FAULT, THEY SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO RENT AGAIN ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS!

Answers

6
gatorsjones, Renter, Coconut Creek, FL
Tue Jul 23, 2013
If you have a one year lease with a condo that has vacation rentals in the condos and in the lease it states you can only have guests stay for a max of 15 days and no language of allowing people to stay for a fee can I use my condo for a few weeks of the year to let people to stay for a fee?
Jennifer And…, Agent, Lancaster, CA
Wed Nov 4, 2009
Because they want a specific tenant to owner occupied ratio.
Web Reference:  http://www.avhomeinfo.com
I am trying to locate a long term year round lease in a golf community. I was not aware of the one tenant rule.It will make it almost impossible for me to locate one!!
Flag Mon Feb 9, 2015
Dan Chase, Home Buyer, Texas City, TX
Wed Nov 4, 2009
I agree You gave the best reason to avoid ANY property that has a Home Owners Association hooked to it. The real owner of the property is never the one who pays the mortgage. It is the one who takes the fees.

Next time you look at a property look at a house that is only subject to taxes and mortgage requirements. HOA's just suck (mostly your money and freedom away).
Mark LeMenag…, Agent, Lake Nona Orlando, FL
Wed Nov 4, 2009
Hi Cheryl,

The owner has a responsibility to find good tennats and includes the application process and credit checks. If the owner takes the decision to accept a risky tennat, well sorry that's business. No one forced them to buy the unit and they knew the rules when they bought.

Regards, Mark
Gary Benson, , Broward County, FL
Wed Nov 4, 2009
Hello Cheryl,

As a former condo owner and landlord I know what you're talking about. However the association has the right to limit the number of rentals per year. Also the rules must be enforced equally. The only practical way to do that is to make a rule and then stick by it. With all the condo foreclosures most associations are trying to limit the number of investor owned properties in their complex. One of the most pratical ways this can be accomplished is by putting limitations on rentals that make their project unattractive to investors. Sorry you're having a problem but unless you can demonstrate that the rule was not enforced in the past their isn't much you can do.

Gary Benson
EcoBroker
Keyes Company

Lisa Quinter, Agent, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Wed Nov 4, 2009
Dear Cheryl:

Ahhhhh, welcome to the world of condo associations. "Why" do they do many things? Because they can is sometimes the only logical answer.

With that said, condos prefer stable long term tenants vs transient passer-bys.

A condo association cannot vary the rules from owner to owner. Therefore, it's 1 lease per year. Just think, if there was a loophole (such as the tenant wasn't paying and had to be evicted, or they disappeared in the middle of the night, etc. etc.) - - - everyone would use that loophole to rent out for the season (which is exactly what associations do not want).

Associations cannot do for one and not the other. Believe me, there would be such lawsuits for discrimination if that would occur.

I hope you get your issues resolved, but for owners/buyers looking for "case by case" rules . . . condo associations are certainly not for you!

Lisa M. Brodeur
LMB Realty Corp d/b/a Alliance Realty
(954) 868-1416
AT WINMOORE CAN U RENT RIGHT AWAY, LIKE THE DAY U TAKE OVER THE APT. OR DO U HAVE TO WAIT FOR A SHORT WHILE. WE JUST BOUGHT THE OTHER DAY. AND HOW OLD MUST THE RENTER TO BE IN AGE,
Flag Sun Aug 4, 2013