So I pay my rent a couple months at a time, and yesterday my landlord informed me that that I needed to move

Asked by Heathercat, Myrtle Beach, SC Sun Apr 12, 2009

before my lease was up or basically get rid of my dog.I have payed a pet deposit and it is in my lease that I can have pets, however, it is against the HOA rules for renters to have pets. Does anyone know if I can sue if she refuses to give me my money back for the rent I have already paid?

Answers

1
Colin Storm, Agent, Falls Church, VA
Sun Apr 12, 2009
My best advice would be to consult a local attorney. So, regardless of what my opinions may be, that is the place to go.

Now, in my opinion, if the landlord originated that lease with you and included a pet deposit and allowed the pet then they are on the hook to cover any association fines until the lease termination date comes around. She is under no obligation to renew the lease, but I would not think she is able to force you to move prior to the lease expiring.

At the same time too, if you are able to find a place that costs less or the same, or that you just prefer, you could chalk it up as an opportunity to leave the lease early. You absolutely have a right to all of your rent money, as well as whatever portion of your deposit remains after final walk through repairs are accounted for.

Again, you need to talk with an attorney in your area. They are the only ones who can give you the help you actually need here if you want to stay.