Rental office closed on the tenets and owners

Asked by Danielle Supplee, Philadelphia, PA Sat May 5, 2012

The rental office closed and ran off with people money. I paid the rent and have a bank statement but the owner what us to move asap..what should I do I have no where to go I broke both of my ankles ?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Larry Lichtman’s answer
Larry Lichtm…, Agent, Bala Cynwyd, PA
Sun May 6, 2012
Hi Danielle,

No worries. Make sure you keep copies of receipts, bank statements, cancelled checks, etc. as proof of rent payments.

If they want to evict you, they must take you to Landlord/Tenant Court at 34 South 11th St. in Center City. NO Judge will make you pay rent twice. It is the owner's fault. Obviously, he permitted the mgt co. to collect the rents.

When that co. went out of business, the owner should have sent you instructions in writing where to now send future rent payments. If the owner never provided notice, you can't be held responsible for the co. running off with the owners money. You did as required to do by your lease.

Wait til you get notice of an eviction hearing. The judge will give you atleast 30 days to move out should thet be the judgement.

Good Luck for a speedy recovery.

All the best,
Larry Lichtman
1 vote
Philip J. Cu…, Agent, Feasterville, PA
Mon May 7, 2012
Check your lease and you will see what the Landlord can do your simple steps are 1) go the Turn at 1315 Walnut Street, 3rd Floor Philadelphia, PA 19107 215.940.3900 2) Contact your landlord and ask him why he wants to have you move. the real solution to your problem is contacting TURN and have them help you relocate no matter what you are told do you really want to stay where you are not wanted. Just remember at the end of your lease you might have to move if the Landlord chooses not to renew your lease. When you go to TURN take your lease and all other paper work that you have. The Landlord has the right not to renew your lease and he doesn't have to give you a reason Please feel free to contact me at my office 215-725-5700 X49

Philip Cunningham Sr
V.I.P. Realty Corporation
7942 Bustleton Ave
Philadelphia,PA 19152
215-725-5700 X49
Web Reference:
0 votes
Sheri Curci, Agent, Newtown, PA
Sun May 6, 2012

Contact you community legal services office and file a report and also contact city hall 215-686-1776.
Get everthing documented and defend yourself.

It aint over until its over..... fight the fight with your pen!

All the best John Curci RE/MAX 215-757-2889
0 votes
Suzanne MacD…, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Sun May 6, 2012
Wait for the owner to take you to court and then show the Judge that you paid the rent. The owner cannot evict you if you paid the rent, the fact that his management company ran off with his money is not your problem. Did you pay by check? If so, get a copy of your cancelled check and give a copy to the owner and tell then to "tell it to the Judge."
0 votes
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sat May 5, 2012
Danielle, I am so sorry to hear what has happened to you.

I do think you need legal advice..........if I understand you correctly, you paid the rent, but the management company that collected it never paid the landlord, and "ran off" with your, and other people's, money?

If you have proof you paid, I can't see how the landlord can force you out.
It seems to me he needs to go after the rental office personnel, and as long as you continue to pay your rent on time, I can't understand why he'd want you to move.

If I am missing something here, please fill me in.

If I have it correctly, and the landlord continues to harrass you, please seek a legal opinion for your own protection.

Hope your ankles heal quickly!
Best wishes!
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more