Rental help in brooklyn for low credit.

Asked by trini2bk, Brooklyn, NY Tue Sep 24, 2013

Can anyone offer any tips on how two hard working young people just married can get somewhere to rent in this city. We have some things working against us such my low (but building) credit score, other person has no credit as they never used credit for the duration of their time in this country. We can afford to rent an apartment but I feel like the demand for nyc apartments is working against us.

Answers

6
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Tue Sep 24, 2013
Much will depend on the landlord/building, each is different; however you can consider being upfront regarding your credit; be prepared to show proof of employment/pay stubs; possibly pre-pay some of the rent; possibly offer extra security; have some reference letters handy; consider a guarantor, etc.
, ,
Wed Sep 25, 2013
My advice to you is to find the neighborhoods that you want to live in and walk around. Although I am a mortgage professional, I am always walking the streets of Brooklyn and I see listings with smaller but local real estate shops or sometimes I see homeowners with signs in their window with apartments for rent. I can also tell you that you will have much more luck with private rentals as opposed to working with larger management companies as they will want to pull credit reports. Again, I'm not a real estate agent but if you email with the neighborhoods you are looking at, I can provide you with referrals to real estate agents that are in those areas and that will be able to help you find what you want. Hope this helps.

Shawn Carson
Senior Loan Officer
Quontic Bank
(718)215-4069 (office)
scarson@quonticbank.com (email)
John Peitler, Agent, NY,
Wed Sep 25, 2013
Please call me for assistance. My name is Dennis and I can be reached at 212-714-1027 ext 12. Thank you and good luck.
Elizabeth Lo…, Agent,
Wed Sep 25, 2013
You might also want to consider Downtown Jersey City which is also very nice, very affordable and very close to Manhattan if that is where you work.... $1700 will go a very long way in Jersey City and you will only have to pay a 1 month broker fee as opposed to 15% of the aggregate rent as they charge in NYC.

I'm also licensed in New Jersey and have access to the Hudson County MLS. I can send you some listings if you are interested.

Thanks!

Elizabeth Logan
Realtor Associate
Douglas Elliman
http://www.elliman.com/elvl
917-392-0291 (cell)
Elizabeth Lo…, Agent,
Wed Sep 25, 2013
Hi Good morning. I know of a company that can possibly help you out if you don't have very good credit. It's called http://www.insurent.com. They can act as a lease guarantor to individuals with not so good credit.

What is the price range you are looking to rent in? I only ask because I have a small 1 bedroom in Cobble Hill for $2500.

All the best?

Elizabeth Logan
Realtor Associate
Douglas Elliman
917-392-0291 (cell)
http://www.elliman.com/elvl
Keith Jean-P…, Agent, East Brunswick, NJ
Tue Sep 24, 2013
I would suggest pleading to the landlord and writing a letter explaining your situation. There is no guarantee but maybe you can get lucky. Typically even if accepted, they are going to want pre-payment of a few months rent.