Prospective rental unit is under a trust. Email communications with pot. "landlord" indicates required deposit via wire transfer.

Asked by SA Castillo, South San Francisco, CA Sat Jan 11, 2014

I have been to the neighborhood but have to see the unit. I'm very nervous about this transaction. How can I protect my deposit?

Answers

8
JR Thrasher, Agent, San Diego, CA
Mon Jan 13, 2014
Thanks for asking, smells like a scam to me. Please flag the post, as a matter of fact, I like to ask everyone to flag listings where the landlord is asking for money up front before letting a prospective tenant view a home.

J.R. Thrasher
http://www.SanDiegoRealEstateVeterans.com
619-929-0105
SA Castillo, Renter, South San Francisco, CA
Sat Jan 11, 2014
Thank you for that news article, Flavio Tejada. Wow - I could not believe it would go that far. That's incredibly elaborate and terrifying. I'm taking pictures of the agents. :)
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Sat Jan 11, 2014
By POT I'm assuming you meant deposit. That's a big no no and you should be nervous. This is rife with the smell of a scam. Never never send money in the mail. Good luck.
J Mario Preza, Agent, Daly City, CA
Sat Jan 11, 2014
anytime you're asked to send money without seeing the merchandise be wary.
Sat Jan 11, 2014
Thank you all for your honesty. I found out the "landlord's" address is "220 Bush St.#40, SF" Doing further research proved that I am not the first victim to reply to a posting by this perpetrator.
Eric Castong…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sat Jan 11, 2014
These are scams. Do not wire money. You won't get it back. Good for you for not falling for it.

Work with legitimate landlords and showing agents. They will meet you in person, show you the unit, have you fill out an application and do a check on you.

Best of luck.

Eric Castongia
Zephyr Real Estate
BRE No. 01188380
Web Reference:  http://SFHotBuy.com
John Souerbry, Agent, Fairfield, CA
Sat Jan 11, 2014
Run! Don't even submit a lease application until you've confirmed the landlord's identity. What you describe is a classic scam to obtain your private personal information and your money
Cindy Davis, Agent, San Diego, CA
Sat Jan 11, 2014
Your instincts are good ones. I would never send money without seeing the unit or meeting the owner. My advice is to find something else...

Best of luck.