Rental Basics in Atlanta>Question Details

Skyler Perki…, Renter in Augusta, GA

Need help finding a loft, townhome, house rental in 30309 with broken lease on my credit.

Asked by Skyler Perkins, Augusta, GA Wed Jun 13, 2012

After a lot of time and hard work, I will finally be beginning my career as an Audiologist in the Atlanta area. One problem that I have already faced is the broken lease on my credit. While in medical school, a large part of my student loans were dropped, so in addition to picking up additional jobs, I also had to move out of my apartment. This happened almost 5 years ago, and since then my rental history has been excellent. I have been working with a broker, and as hard as he works for me, I think my situation may be a little foreign to him. Is there anyone that specializes in finding a luxury rental someone like me? I've been on this quest since the end of April, and now, I have to be out of my current townhome by July 1 and still do not have a place! My annual salary is 70,000 a year, so I know I can afford not to live in a undesirable area. Any useful information would be most valued!

Help the community by answering this question:


check out this 1 bedroom short sale for 45k in good area. 30342
save thousands. is your score a 640?
if so its doable.…
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 22, 2012
It can be somewhat challenging getting landlords to take a risk with your past rental history. You can offer to put up several months in advance or offer a larger security deposit and commit to a longer term lease. I'd encourage you to get written rental references for landlords you have had over the past 5 years.

Another option is making a purchase. With an income of 70K a year you can afford a very nice property and your mortgage payment will likely be 50-70% less than the rent would be on the same property. The lender will not look at your broken lease as an event preventing you from obtaining a mortgage. If you still owe your previous landlord money and they have filed a collection on your credit report the lender may require this item be paid as a condition for you to obtain a mortgage.

If you have any other questions or would like to discuss your real estate needs in greater detail, whether it be rentals or your decision to make a purchase, please feel free to reach out to us at any time.


Adam Ailion
The Bruce Ailion Team
REALTOR® and Buyer's Agent
CDPE-Certified Distressed Property Expert
CARI-Certified Agent For Real Estate Investors
678-760-6266 Direct
770-973-9700 Office
404-978-2281 Fax

"Going Above and Beyond Exceptional Service"
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 13, 2012
Your best chance is to give at least 6 months rent up front as collaterall. THEN they would know you're serious about fixing your living situation.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 13, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer