Sol Rabinowi…, Other/Just Looking in Brooklyn, NY

My 1 year lease just expired for my apartment. My landlord offered me a renewal, but I did not sign the

Asked by Sol Rabinowitz, Brooklyn, NY Sun Jun 14, 2009

renewal. My landlord says it does not matter that I didn't sign because I am automatically under lease for another year. Can this be?

No!, If you are in a free market apartment you had an Estate for years lease, meaning the lease continued for a definite period of time, whether for years, months, weeks, or even days. It always has a specific starting and ending time. In your case 1 year. If your landlord has accepted rent after your lease expired you have entered into a month-to-month tenancy with no definite termination date. To end a month-to-month tenancy, New York City requires 30 days notice. Notice must be given at least one day before a date on which rent is due. If rent is due on September 1, the landlord who wants the tenant to vacate by October 1 must give notice no later than August 31.
Web Reference: