My lease has a 250 non refundable deposit to defray cost of rerenting the premises. what exactly is this for.?

Asked by kkeefer62, Scottsdale, AZ Sun Apr 14, 2013

Landlord is trying to charge me for lightbulbs, 50 for door handle on refrigerator that has broken twice in 1 year. 10 for 2 screws 30 for my extra day to clean unit faucet in bathroom separated from vanity needs to be resealed. wants to charge 150, landlords time and plumber?????

Answers

4
Lisa Kern’s answer
Lisa Kern, Agent, Fountain Hills, AZ
Sun Apr 28, 2013
On our Lease Agreements we charge a $250 non-refundable cleaning fee also.The landlord can do what he wants with it, as it has nothing to do with how the rental is returned. The renter is responsible to return the property back the same way they got it, minus reasonable wear and tear. All the light bulbs need to be working as they did when they moved in and the carpet needs to be clean as it was when they moved in.(if you lease says that)
If the door handle was documented for a repair, but broke again, you should have reported that so they can get the repair person back to do the job right. Seems like they need to be reminded about the previous repair.
The legal daily rate to charge has to be prorated so if you rent was $900 it sounds legal.
The resealing of the faucet seems odd. I wonder what would have happened if you called the landlord during the lease to report that issue? Would he have fixed it then without charge? it is hard to say without all the details. I always tell my renters to call in issues as soon as they become a problem because they will normally be cheaper to fix sooner than later. Hope this helps a bit.
James Wehner, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Apr 25, 2013
You will want to consult with a real estate attorney versed in landlord/ tenant disputes. Did you complete a move-in checklist identifying the condition of the home upon move-in? You will need to refer to the lease you signed regarding what you are responsible for.
Richard Arno…, Agent, Tempe, AZ
Sun Apr 14, 2013
Are the charges you listed in addition to the non-refundable charge, for a total of $230 extra - or is the Landlord itemizing things to justify the non-refundable charge?
the charges are in addition to the non refundable charge. before leaving i cleaned the unit, washed windows inside and out, cleaned carpets, cleaned mini blinds and fans. landlord was showing the place next day.
Flag Sun Apr 14, 2013
Jennie Miller…, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Sun Apr 14, 2013
You might want to contact an attorney or speak with your landlord.