My landlord is trying to rent a basement with no egress windows or a private door from outside to basement.

Asked by Hus197921, Prior Lake, MN Sun Oct 21, 2012

Is there anyone I can go to in my city or county. I live in Paynesville mn and Stearns county.

Answers

5
Hus197921, Home Buyer, Prior Lake, MN
Wed Oct 24, 2012
i dont need to know anymore. we solved it our own way and just going to move and not been involved in anything that might to illegal. i have 4 kids i need to think about and dont want us all to lose our home cuz our landlord dont know how how to go by the laws on anything he did. thank u all for the adivce.
Hus197921, Home Buyer, Prior Lake, MN
Wed Oct 24, 2012
i aint worried about it not been rented to me. i would rather not stay in basement with no way out if there was a fire. my concern was if it is legal or not. i have talked to my landlord about it already. only thing i concerned about is the safety of the person renting basement and not having no way out if there was a fire. it is my business if i happen to live in the sameplace that the landlord my be breaking the laws.
Cameron Piper, Agent, Forest Lake, MN
Tue Oct 23, 2012
Hus197921,

Why not talk directly to your landlord about your concerns and see what their explanation is.

From your posting it would appear that your landlord is attempting to rent this room to someone other than you. You might examine what your real concern is with this situation. Isn't the agreement between your landlord and another tenant their business and not yours?

Cameron Piper
Coldwell Banker Burnet
licensed MN Real Estate Broker
Web Reference:  http://www.CamPiper.com
Elizabeth Fu…, Agent, Wayzata, MN
Sun Oct 21, 2012
Usually our communities have a housing department and a rental license division. You could start there at the city level and they will tell you if you need to go to the county. Good luck! E
612-986-4105
Vicki Schwar…, Agent, Victoria, MN
Sun Oct 21, 2012
Check with your city or county and see if there are rental requirements. Just give the main number a call and explain you are looking for rental information and regulations. They'll get you to the right people to talk to. You should find out if permits, inspections, etc. are required.