My daughter's apartment building has rats and they have gnawed on her couch. Can I get the landlord to reimburse her for damages?

Asked by Lorriehastruck, San Francisco, CA Wed Apr 17, 2013

She doesn't have great "before" pictures.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Gabriel Rojas’ answer
Gabriel Rojas, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Wed Apr 17, 2013
Hello Lorriehasstruck:

Before you do anything else, contact the SF Rent Board or a rental attorney. Only they can give legal advise.

I have been a landlord in the past and my opinion would be that a landlord cannot be held responsible for an "Act of God". It's too bad that there are rats in the home to begin with so forget the couch and get her out of there!

If you need a referral for an attorney, I'm happy to help.

Good luck!

1 vote
Christina Ha…, Other Pro, Morristown, TN
Thu May 16, 2013
Rats... http://Ewww... Please read the lease regarding pests and how the landlord will handle such creatures. If their isn't a section that mentions vermin then you will definitely want to get out of the unit. I think a damaged couch is the least of your worries.

Have a great day;

Christina Solorzano;
CEO & SR Credit & Mortgage Consultant of
Everlasting Credit
Ex-Mortgage Broker of more than 10 years
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more