My boyfriend and I are looking to move to a rental apartment in mid- to late-August. Is late June too early to start contacting properties?

Asked by Melissa Weiss, Jersey City, NJ Sat Jun 23, 2012

Last time we looked for an apartment, we began our search in late August for a September 1st move-in. Now, we want to start searching earlier. However, I worry that starting our search almost two months before we hope to move in may be too early and property owners may not be interested in us. When is an appropriate time-frame to start contacting brokers or property owners?

Answers

2
Joan Congilose’s answer
Joan Congilo…, Agent, Freehold, NJ
Tue Jun 26, 2012
A 2 month window is a normal time to start looking for a place. You can prepare by getting a recent credit report for both of you which you will need, checking out neighborhoods & finding a realtor in the area that specializes in rentals that may know of apartments that may be coming up available for rent when you need it
Surendra Jag…, Agent, Jersey City, NJ
Sat Jun 23, 2012
Hi Melissa,
Your better of starting last week of July or First week of August.
Please call me at 917-822-0682 or email at sjagrup@weichert.com so that I can better assist you and go over the process for you.
Thanks.
Surendra.