Make ready for Rental House

Asked by Home owner, Sun May 27, 2012

My tenant moved out and left the house in good shape however there are numerous sizeable holes in the wall where they hung heavy draperies. The house had blinds and the draperies were decorative. The house was completely retextured and painted three years ago. The 18 holes and a chip corner need to be repair, any rules on how much to charge?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Darrell D. D…, Agent, Schertz, TX
Sun May 27, 2012
The bottom line is you cannot make a profit off of the repairs. So the deposit deduction should coincide with the actual cost. If you do it yourself, charge the cost of materials which is easy to get off the receipts and then charge a reasonable cost for your labor. If you charge excessively, it could bite you if they file in small claims court for the deposit. If you hire a contractor, then this is a no-brainer since the cost to deduct from the deposit is the actual cost paid to the contractor for the repairs.

Darrell D. Drouillard
Home Team of America
16719 Huebner Rd., Bldg 4
San Antonio, Texas 78248
210-881-6760 (Fax)

'Serving all Your Real Estate Needs'
1 vote
Guy Gimenez, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon May 28, 2012
You will want to provide the former tenant with invoices for the repairs assuming you are retaining some of the former tenant's security deposit for said repairs. You should only charge the amount that is invoiced by your repair person(s).

If you're planning to being a landlord, you better bone up on the Texas Property Code (that relates to landlord tenants) because many tenants will surely know it better than you will and will take every opportunity to prove it in small claims court.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more