Looking for a spacious sunny 1BR/1BA in Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill; short walking distance from the Carroll St/Bergen St subway stops for max $2000

Asked by Ellie, Brooklyn, NY Thu Apr 26, 2012

Can move for August 1 or September 1. In my mind, the summer is a particularly competitive time for getting the right apartment at the right price...what's the best strategy? Or is my fear unwarranted?

Answers

3
Rod Murray, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Sat Apr 28, 2012
I have a 1 BR garden apartment in Carroll Gardens with a private garden with rent of $2100.

Please contact Lisa at 917.597.5155. Available June 1.
M, , Brooklyn, NY
Thu Apr 26, 2012
Ill be happy to help you find an apartment in Carroll Gardens. I feel its early to look at listings now when your move in date isnt untill August 1st. If you like shoot me an email at my contact information below and ill be happy to help facilitate your search.

Mark May
Licensed Real Estate Sales Person
Facilitate Realty
Pecoraro Realty
facilitaterealty.com
follow me mayifacilitate
Aleksandra S…, , Brooklyn, NY
Thu Apr 26, 2012
Hi Ellie,

Your budget may be a bit tight for your requirements - although every now and then we all do get surprised with a fabulous yet underpriced unit that hits the market. If I were you, I would have my eyes peeled on units coming available for rent around October 1 if you could extend your move date by then. August 1 and September 1 are still considered the full-fledged rental season.

Good luck in your search!

Aleksandra
Hi Ellie,
I'm just seeing your response now... Rental prices normally peak in July/August - so theoretically September 1 should work. Unfortunately, we find season after season that August tenants continue to linger well into September - and with them do the prices... The savviest of tenants will try to time their leases to expire in the dead of winter (Dec/Jan/Feb) when good tenants are harder to come by (go figure - people don't like to drag their prized possessions and/or futons through the snow! :)) and landlords in prime neighborhoods are more likely to negotiate. But then again, experienced landlords will rarely sign leases that would end outside of the season. To really try to beat the crowds you may also consider moving now... The season really starts around May 15th. Another thought - if you at some point down the road manage to find a landlord willing to sign a six-month lease - YOU may end up timing the end of your lease to correspond with the months when prices are lower!
Flag Thu Apr 26, 2012
Thanks Aleksandra. That's what I was afraid of. Does "full-fledged rental season" mean that this is when rents peak in price? Unfortunately, it will be difficult to extend the move date to October 1 but we could potentially move in a bit earlier (July 1) to avoid the rush. Does that help us?
Flag Thu Apr 26, 2012