Is there a way to tactfully ask a potential tenant to cover a portion of rent and utilities to hold the rental being that they can't move in?

Asked by Aimee, Mesa, AZ Sun Jul 17, 2011

right way We are needing to have renters beginning Aug. 1 because we are moving out and to another home. Obviously, we are hoping not to pay two house payments and two sets of utilities. We do have applicants who are able to move-in on the Aug. 1 date, but they are not as qualified as the family who can't move in right away.

I know that I would much rather wait a month for a potentially great renter, but money is a factor. Is there a way to negotiate this situation that would work out for the both of us?

Answers

5
Karen Parsons…, Agent, Laguna Beach, CA
Sun Jul 17, 2011
Hi Aimee,

All you can do is ask.....and then see what they say. I think the fact that you are asking how to do it tactfully shows that you are a considerate person....I'm sure you will be able to convey your need without seeming to be selfish or greedy. It's a legitimate need...just have a conversation and see what happens.

I hope it works out.....I'm sure you'll do it well :)

Karen
Michael Land…, , Mesa, AZ
Mon Jul 18, 2011
Hello Aimee. First be sure that these clients can afford to pay and will be able to pay all your move in costs. If they agreed to move in and pay your costs and then delayed 1 month it is not a bad idea to ask them to pay a earnest deposit for you to hold it, this is not unusual or aggressive but normal business practice. I hate to be negative but if they failed to pay and move in when you expected them to they may not be good renters.
Whatever you do do not give them a key or let them start moving in until you are paid in full. If you give them a key and let them start moving in if they have paid or not you have given them occupancy rights and that can get very ugly for you. Getting into the rental business can be difficult and most people can not afford to learn the hard way. Good luck, Mike.
Ann Griffin, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Mon Jul 18, 2011
Aimee, I assume you are new to being a landlord. One of the first tough lessons landlords learn, is to go for the more qualified tenant and wait if necessary rather than rent to underqualified tenants. As a landlord myself, I had to learn this the hard way. Losing that month's rent will seem like a good deal down the road if lesser qualified tenants are unable to pay rent and/or damage your property, and then are difficult to evict.

You will need to factor vacancy from time to time into your home renting business.

You can ask the tenants you want, to pay for half the month to hold the rental. You sound like a nice person and I'm sure you could put it tactfully. Or, you could continue to look for tenants since most tenants aren't looking until the month prior to moving in. Good luck.
Jeannie Joy…, , Tempe, AZ
Sun Jul 17, 2011
It really depends on how much your very qualified renters want the house.

It might just appeal to them to have extra time to move their belongings. If they pay a portion of the rent and the utilities (which would be less because not everything will be in use for the entire month), offer the option of moving some of their belongings into the house during that month. It is an attractive offer because no one wants to move everything in one or two days It would give them time to do it at a slower, more productive pace. It helps them to be more organized. That scenario will appeal to the lady of the house, especially.

Put this offer to them in a positive light that will benefit them and you. I would just present it as a positive option. They may be able to save some moving costs if they can move things in a little at a time rather pay a moving company buy the hour or arrange family members to help over a weekend.

Let them know it is a win, win situation. See what happens. I would ask them to pay for 1/2 the rent and all of the utility bills required to move their things. Of course they must have the utilities transferred into their names. That will solidify the deal.

In the end it is all up to you. But if it were me, I would rather have the more qualified, desirable renters get off to a great start by helping them (and you) achieve the goal. WIN, WIN is always the best option.

Let them know a little about your situation and that you have another renter willing to pay it all.
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Sun Jul 17, 2011
Option 1. You can ask the new tenants to fork over some money that they should not have to pay, because they are not moving in yet, and take the chance that they have a lot of money and are not offended.

Option 2. You approach this from a BUSINESS point of view and realize that it is YOUR choce to rent to these people over the other couple. And bear the financial responsability for your decision.

The choice is yours, don't let me influence you.

Good luck and may God bless