Is it better to be upfront about a bankruptcy/foreclose to a leasing agent or wait to see if they accept us?

Asked by raulg4117, Tampa, FL Mon May 26, 2014

I'm moving my family to Tampa due to my wife's job transfer. Instead of taking a $30,000 loss and have a mortgage to pay on a house we don't own we chose bankruptcy/foreclosure. The credit history shows on time payments for everything including the mortgage. So, is it better to explain our situation and why we chose to do what we did upfront or just wait to see if the leasing agent accepts our application?

Answers

3
George Leone, Agent, Lutz, FL
Sun Jun 1, 2014
Alwayus be as HONEST as possible
Your Realty…, Agent, Tampa, FL
Tue May 27, 2014
It is very important to be as honest as possible. Most information will be found on you credit / background check anyways. Being upfront about the information may either save you an application fee or save "face" with the agent / landlord.

A lot of people are in a similar situation and that is one reason why the renting market is still so flooded today. Agents & Landlords are aware of this and many will make exceptions if you are up front and honest.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting.
J.D. "Dan" &…, Agent, Orange Park, FL
Mon May 26, 2014
You should be upfront an honest agent won't make you waste your application fee if they don't want to do business with you. If you are not upfront you will be found out during the credit check and then rejected for lying.