If I'm renting out a house on a verbal agreement and tell the landlord I will move out on the first but I need more time, can she kick me out?

Asked by Njones, Jacksonville, NC Tue May 29, 2012

Basically I need to know if she legally can't kick me out and has to give me 30 days.

Answers

4
Sue Cruddas’ answer
Sue Cruddas, Agent, Jacksonville, NC
Wed May 30, 2012
This depends on A LOT. Did you tell the landlord TODAY or 30 days ago are you on a month to month or week to week tendency. And was this all in writing and are you current in rents? The landlord can evict for a hold over if time frame hasn’t been agreed to. Typically they are willing to work with someone unless a new tenant is secured and waiting for someone to move. There are a lot of factors that are unknown that would need to be spelled out. The first being what type of verbal and what type of notice was agreed to.
Njones, , Jacksonville, NC
Tue May 29, 2012
I gave her a weeks notice but couldn't find something in my budget. She reported the room for rent. I paid my rent up until the first.
Denise Phill…, Agent, Jacksonville, NC
Tue May 29, 2012
I believe she would need to give you written notice and give you a date in writing. If you don't have a lease it maybe shorter but you can call the Magistrate at 910 455 4458 and ask them.
If you need another rental, please let me know. Good Luck
Michael Emery, , Minneapolis, MN
Tue May 29, 2012
I'm confused. Did you give the landlord 30 days notice and now are telling the landlord you can't get out in time? And have you been paying rent?