I want to rent out my house in Frederick, MD. Do I need a license or permit to do this?

Asked by On The Move, 21701 Tue Aug 17, 2010

I have taken a new job in NoVa and need to move there, but with the market so down right now, I'd like to rent out my house in Frederick in the interm, and sell it when the market improves. Are there any hoops I need to jump through to rent it, or can I just get a standard type lease online and do it?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Marie Petrelis’ answer
Marie Petrel…, Agent, Frederick, MD
Tue Aug 17, 2010
As a homeowner you are able to rent your home yourself. You do not need to be licensed. I suggest understanding the laws protecting you as well as your tenant ahead of time. This is one link from the Maryland Attorney's office:


Also, the Courthouse has documents about Tenant Rights and Landlord Rights. If you have that document it helps to show you are informed and attempting to inform them. In Maryland a renter has the right to review a lease before signing and important to learn how the deposit is to be handled. Further I suggest it wise to learn what the process should you have any problems with late rent, etc. The Courthouse is where you would file the paperwork in that situation. Become informed ahead of time so you won't have to scramble at the last minute should a problem arise. Hope your move is smooth and renting works well for you! Marie
1 vote
Brock Chapman, Agent, Frederick, MD
Fri Aug 15, 2014
As several agents have suggested below,


Has most of the information you need. You do NOT need a permit to rent out your house in Frederick, MD.

I would also call the local courthouse and/or local association of Realtors. This would be the Frederick City Courthouse off of West Patrick St and FCAR (Frederick County Association of Realtors) of off route 85. Doesn't hurt to call a local brokerage or agent too for more information.

All the best,

0 votes
Jennifer Coa…, Agent, Frederick, MD
Fri Jul 25, 2014
I have helped Owners Rent as I work for a Broker who does Property Management. Although Fall Realtors are NOT lawyers. I am not. Consult an Attorney. However, in 2014, Maryland Law is changing to where Realtors need to get a separate license to do Property Management and Rentals as there have been so many frivolous lawsuits. So while my internship was in Property Management in 1999-2003, I would now need to go get a separate License to be legally permitted to do Property Management or Sign Leases and my Brokerage would not allow our Agents to do this as Residential Realtors. We would have to work for a second Broker who is Licensed with Insurance for this type of commercial business. Point is Yes, Call a Property Management Company. Have them Find your Tenant, Sign there Board Approved Lease and manage this for you if need be. Otherwise you can have a Non Management Lease Signed and manage yourself. Although with the Legal Requirements such as MDE 330 Form for Lead Based Paint for properties built prior to 1978 and so on, you would be better to make sure your legally covered by an Attorney and Property Management Company. There are too many risks that are not worth you having legal liability on. And even Realtors who had done this professionally are now having to simply focus on Sales and let Property Management Companies who only do rentals do rentals.
0 votes
Jennifer Coa…, Agent, Frederick, MD
Fri Nov 22, 2013
Hello Owner seeking to rent,

I had rented many clients home for them over the years for the first month's rent as compensation. My internship after college was as a property manager of a 13 unit apartment building for 3 years. Most rentals I worked with were build prior to 1978 with Lead Based Paint. They needed a MDE 330 form issued by a state inspector after a qualified painter sealed the risky lead based paint. They also needed a Lease which we had from our business as well as mandatory forms such as Protect Your Family from Lead Based Paint in your home, the disclosure form. Most people asked for a cleaning service to clean between tenants as well as a handyman to do minor repairs which we had in our business for all clientele. I also worked with public housing assistance which have there own set of regulations which in my business, we had to comply with Fair Housing.

Although I think the main reason I helped Owners rent there house was to add there listing to the MLS for agents and consumers to see for professional exposure as well as to do the intake of potential renters. I collected applications. Screened the potential tenants. We then presented the owners the candidates and they selected which they wanted. Then the Agent met with the tenants and got the lease signed. Further, when the tenants moved in or out, the agent helped transition the parties when it was essential to have a smooth move without conflict.

You can do your 1 rental without a real estate license. Yes, go to the State of Maryland http://www.oag.state.md.us/Consumer/landlords.htm Just consider how much your time is worth vs paying one month rent to have a professional take care of these things for you.

Jennifer Wang, REALTOR®, Buyer Specialist
The Landmark Group at Real Estate Teams, LLC
0 votes
Jessica Hood…, Agent, Gambrills, MD
Tue Aug 17, 2010
Hi On the move,

You can rent your home yourself but need to be aware of state and Federal disclosure guidelines. Many real estate agents handle tenant locator services. Contact a reputable broker and let someone else do the work for you. The fee (up to 1 month's rent) is a good investment in knowing your tenant is pre-screened, your lease is compliant and all the details are attended to for you. Best of luck with your new job.
0 votes
Darlene Deca…, Agent, Severna Park, MD
Tue Aug 17, 2010
No you do not need to do anything if your home was built after 1978. If it is pior to 1978 it should be tested for lead paint and registered with the EPA. If it does have lead paint you need to speak to a contractor that is licensed to deal with lead paint.
0 votes
brent mendel…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Bethesda, MD
Tue Aug 17, 2010
I just got a lease when I did it this year. There are leases specific to the county you live in. Not sure if I followed everything 100% but I did it and most just go ahead and make the switch. You may want to let your insurance company know. If you do they will probably raise the rate though. One note, when you try and qualify for the new house you need 30% equity in the current home in order to use the rent to qualify. Otherwise you must qualify carrying both mortgages plus any other debts listed on your credit report. Not giving you any legal advice, just teling you what most people do.
0 votes
Maureen D'Ai…, , Urbana, MD
Tue Aug 17, 2010
No real hoops to jump through, but some basic regulations in place in Maryland that must be followed, including Fair Housing, rental receipts for each month payment, lead paint disclosure if appropriate.
A good starting place might be the Md Consumer Protection Agency. See link below. Also, Md State Law, Section 8- Rentals.
Good luck
Maureen D'Aiutolo, Broker
Key Realty Group LLC
Frederick MD
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more