I want to rent an apartment in Hoboken for a job I'll be starting when I gradate in May. How tough are the credit checks?

Asked by nyerenee, Hoboken, NJ Wed Mar 6, 2013

When I was 18, I did mess up my credit. I'm 24 now and I've made those situations right, two by just paying up front and 3 by doing Care One. I have no evictions or anything like that, and I've recently gotten 2 "new" credit cards, one with American Express and one with Discover. I'm just concerned that the negative things (all from 4 years ago) will deter me.

Answers

8
Michael Personette’s answer
Michael Pers…, Agent, Edgewater, NJ
Fri Mar 8, 2013

My name is Michael Personette with grouptwentysix real estate, when you are ready Rowe can work as a team and u will find you everything that is available

Please call me at 201 848 2068

Continued Success,

Michael
David Bistany, Agent, Hoboken, NJ
Wed Mar 6, 2013
There are many young people that have bad credit due to student loans or making bad decisions.
I congratulate you on making it right. At Liberty Realty, Hoboken's number 1 office we do over 100 rentals a month.
We deal with all types of credit and background checks.
There are no two tenant applications that are alike and every landlord base their decision to accept a potential renter on different criteria.
You should have your credit pulled and see what your score is and start from there.
You may need a co-signer such as a parent or other family member.
Feel free to look though our web site for possible rentals.
http://www.libertyrealty.com
Hoboken is a great city. I've lived and worked here for the past 12 years.
Do not hesitate to write with further questions.

David Bistany
Liberty Realty, LLC
dbistany@libertyrealestate.com
Walstmnky, Home Buyer, 07093
Mon May 20, 2013
Landlords and management companies can be PITA when it comes down to securing a residential lease.

Example: I have co-workers who make $200K+, and FAR more than 40x rent, but some PITA lanlord wants to put their parents on the lease as co-signer. What B/S.

The point is, no need to solve this problem in "abstract". Get down to Hoboken, see some places, apply to some, and see what happens.

Unless you are a real deadbeat, you will probably find something.
Shaun Guarini, , Hoboken, NJ
Wed Mar 27, 2013
David is right. Rental applications are taken on a case by case basis and each land lord will have a different perspective on the tenant.

Your best bet is to check your credit and see where you stand. If you straightened everything out 4 years ago your credit should be on the rise.

You can always explain your situation to the agent you are working with and then to the land lord. They may be more understanding then you think!
Jason Ortiz, Agent, Hoboken, NJ
Thu Mar 14, 2013

When it comes to rentals I've found with most owners that I have encountered, they are simply looking for someone that has a good rental history and can afford the rent. As long as your financials are good and you are up front about your past credit history you will be fine. I've also had my fair share of trouble in the past when I was young and never had an issue getting an apartment. As long as you are honest and up front you will be fine.

If you need any help finding a place in Hoboken, please dont hesitate to contact me at 201-303-8472. My office is out of Hoboken and I'm very familiar with the area.
Patricia Ema…, Agent, Toms River, NJ
Wed Mar 6, 2013
Hello Nyerenee,
You are with out a doubt on the right track...Congratulations . If your credit is on the rise and in good standing, my suggestion to you is get your FICO score and rather than rent find your self an investment stop renting and OWN! It is for your best interest. YOUR FUTURE, please let me advise you on a new financial life line, it doesn't mean you have to take my advise, just get some.
There are many options for some one like you....Five minutes of your time will give you a world of opportunities out there. I think we were all you at one point in our lives, I only wished some one told me to call them for "FREE" advise.

Anyway, if you need anything further Id be happy to help you, LET YOUR MONEY WORK FOR YOU why let your money pay for some one else investment.. You could own two places in no time at all. I have a daughter your age, I would advise her just the same; whether she takes the advise I can not control all I can do is give it.

Funny but true story.... A long time ago I got the Nick name of The Guardian "Agent" and I stuck with it.. I was doing more than Real Estate back then...anyway, I had clients who thought I was their Guardian Angel and they started calling me the Guardian "Agent"... they told me I was their get rich quick solution...Funny how things turn out., I now help their grand children, small small world.

Best of Luck,
The Guardian "Agent"
Patricia Emanuele
patricia@123Realtors.net
732-822-6241
Emil Veltre, Agent, Clearwater Beach, FL
Wed Mar 6, 2013
Good morning Nyerenee,

Congrats on your upcoming graduation and the new job! When it comes to credit check results and how they are viewed it is truly up to the individual landlord. With that said, if you have cleared everything up and have been behaving yourself :-) for the past 4 years paying everything on time with no delinquencies, etc. I think you would have a good chance of being approved.

Please give me a call to discuss further at 973.868.4034 and I would be happy to answer any questions and help guide you through the process.

Have a GREAT day and be careful with the impending weather!

Emil

Emil Veltre, RPh, MS, CDPE
Realtor Associate
Liberty Realty
973.868.4034
emilveltre@aol.com
Alex Taylor, Agent, Hoboken, NJ
Wed Mar 6, 2013
The credit checks are there to protect the Landlord, and the lengths you have gone to fix your credit will work in your favor, as will having proof of employment and salary confirmation. The bottom line is if you can afford to pay the rent for the apartment you find, you should be OK.

I'd be happy to help you with your rental search, feel free to reach out to me to discuss more.

Alex Taylor
Empire Realty
518-573-1190