I rent in san leandro more than 10 yr. I have had no heater for more than a year. Landlord said will get one but still with out heat

Asked by fhinkston, San Leandro, CA Thu Dec 27, 2012

I have held the rent a few times then landlord said need rent money to get heater so i paid but still no heater. On going sense june 2011. PG&E removed heat source it was not safe.

Answers

3
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Fri Dec 28, 2012
fhinkston:

I fully agree with what John has offered below. Quite frankly, this is a ridiculous situation that should have been addressed by the landlord once the problem was known - so, it's time for you to take action.

Below is a link to the CA Dept. of Consumer Affairs Landlord-Tenant Guide:
http://docs.Steven-Anthony.com/Landlord-TenantGuideCA2010.pdf

Here are a few of the pages addressing your dilemma:

Marked page 38 under "Conditions that make a rental unit legally uninhabitable", 4th bullet, "Heating facilities in good working order."

Marked page 43 under "The "rent withholding" remedy." and the 3rd bullet "Lack of any heat..."

-Steve
The Medford…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Mon Dec 31, 2012
John and Steve have both provided good advice. This is a situation the landlord needs to fix right away. If you left, he could not rent it out again until the heater was fixed. He is using you to prolong the need to do any repairs. If I were you, I’d act on this today.
John Juarez, Agent, Fremont, CA
Thu Dec 27, 2012
I did not find a question in your statements.

Here is my question to you: if you know how to use a computer, why have you not done an internet search for “landlord tenant law san leandro ca”? You would have come up with the City of San Leandro – Housing and Community Services among other information.

I am sorry that you are enduring your second winter without heat. You need to take action or you will be in the same situation next winter.

All due respect to Sheryl Arndt but the Inland Mediation Board is in Rancho Cucamonga, San Bernadino County. You need local help. Try the City of San Leandro first. http://www.sanleandro.org/depts/cd/housing/services.asp