I plan on renting in about 1-2 years. I have a large family and a dog? Will it be a problem to find a home to rent because of children and pets?

Asked by Teresa, Ocean County, NJ Sun Sep 30, 2012

Answers

6
Maria Cipollone’s answer
Maria Cipoll…, Agent, Coral Springs, FL
Sun Sep 30, 2012
It is difficult but not impossible. With a non refundable security deposit for the pets most landlords are willing to rent out their property to families with pets.

Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone

http://www.Flahomespecialist.com
William Troy, Agent, Toms River, NJ
Sun Sep 30, 2012
As Carla mentioned already the family can't be refused the rental because of the size. However, limits can be placed by associaitions and the Landlord if they wanted to on max occupancy. For instance if you look at a 2 bedroom condo with a family of 7, the Landlord may be concerned for safety purposes over where are all the beds going to be placed and will there be any health and safety hazards in case of a fire or other emergency. In terms of the dog, yes most Landlords will not allow pets at all, others will restrict dog vs. cat or may require you to pay additional rent.

That will depend on a few things. It will depend on the bank, rep you have been dealing with, picking the right realtor to sell the home quickly, that realtor being able to get a quick offer, the negotiator being assigned to the file and the proper file being sent. I have stopped foreclosure 3 months into the process all the way until the week of sheriff's sale. All the items above need to line up in order to do something that late. I am not sure why you would want to put yourself through the foreclosure vs. a short sale or other options I can help you with. The foreclosure impact vs. short sale impact on your credit report and future credit is a huge difference. Give me a call or email and I will discuss with you based on the bank and other circumstances.

It depends on the Landlord and the tenant on a case by case basis. I have had Landlords that were in the most secure jobs known and they lost their job so unless you work for yourself there is no such thing as a guaranteed job right now. However I have some Landlords that want a particular credit score, others look at the situation. They will review the report to see if you were late every single month for 7 years, every other month for 7 years or just recently over the past 2 years or so when something happened. They will then look at the big picture and make a decision. Others will just say yes or no. Case by case basis is the best I can say. If you need any help feel free to contact me. By the way, a short sale or deed in lieu will look better on your credit than a foreclosure. Call or email me to discuss since this is an area I have a lot of training in.

William F. Troy
Broker-Salesperson
REO/HUD Director
Pre-foreclosure Specialist Mastery Certification
RDC PRO, SRES, e-PRO, CDPE, Luxury Home Team
Veltri & Associates Realtors
121 Washington St.
Toms River, NJ 08753
Office-(866)483-5874 ext. 422
Cell- (732)600-1570
Fax- (732)557-6425
wtroy@veltrirealtors.com
http://www.veltrirealtors.com
Carla Pennin…, Agent, Georgetown, TX
Sun Sep 30, 2012
You can't be discriminated against because of the size of your family, except that the property code here says that there can be no more than two people to a bedroom on the lease. But just because you have children is not a reason a landlord can use to not rent to you.

Pets are another story - as well as smokers in the residence. You will need to look for houses that allow pets or smokers if that applies.

Your Realtor can filter the search for properties that allow pets and/or smoking.
I have 5 children and its me and my husband. So Im assuming I would have to rent a minimum , 4 bedroom home then right? As far as smoking, my husband smokes outside because 2 of our kids have asthma. Im not sure if an owner would believe that though. What do you think?
Flag Sun Sep 30, 2012
Salvatore Ve…, Agent, Middletown, NJ
Fri Nov 23, 2012
Alicia,

A lot of landlords are not interested in renting to a family with pets because it becomes a liability for them. Even if your dogs are the most well-trained dogs in the world, the landlord has no way of knowing that so he is going to be taking on an additional risk of the dog damaging the property in any way. With that said, there are plenty of landlords who will rent to families with pets and some even require a "pet interview" so they can see what type of dog it is and make their judgment from there.

As far as children, I have never come across a landlord that has a problem with renting to a family with children. In my opinion it is better for the landlord becuase they know you need a home for your children. You most likely wont be throwing parties and trashing the place if you have little children living with you.

If you need any help with the rental process, I would be glad to help.

Sal Ventre
Crossroads Realty
732-684-6398
SVentre@crossroadsrealtynj.com
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Mon Oct 1, 2012
I agree with Diane - most landlords would prefer not to have pets. There is a searchable field for "pets allowed" so you can start there to find landlords who are receptive. There won't be a huge number. There will be others that may consider pets and your agent can have the conversation with the listing agent to see if it is possible. Do give yourself adequate lead time and make a strong case for yourself as a great tenant overall.

Good luck and best,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Diane Glander, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Mon Oct 1, 2012
children, no. Pets, probably. Most landlords don't want pets. Start looking way ahead of time and work with an agent who can help you make the best presentation to the landlord possible.
In NJ, a landlord can only charge a maximum of 1.5 months security. They cannot charge extra for a pet security. It's illegal.
If you would like a copy of the truth in renting booklet so you know your rights, contact me via my website or trulia.
Web Reference:  http://www.dianeglander.com