Slam2x, Home Buyer in Davie, FL

I'm looking to rent my house to a section 8 family. How do I write the lease? Do I need to specify that is for section 8 and the portion of the?

Asked by Slam2x, Davie, FL Fri Dec 11, 2009

rent needs to specified in the contract?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


April Crowder, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Sat Dec 12, 2009
I have rented to Section 8 tenants here In North Carolina. The property does not have to be approved for Section 8. As Nadine said, you first get a Section 8 tenant who wants to rent the property and then you verify the voucher amount. If they want to rent your property, then you sign the Section 8 paperwork saying that you are willing to rent to them and an inspector will call you to inspect the house. Here we use our own leases and do not have to specify anywhere in it that payment is from Section 8., The lease is between the owner/property manager and the tenant.
1 vote
moranhome, Home Buyer, Davie, FL
Wed Dec 25, 2013
If you are in Davie, you can work with the Broward County Housing Authority or the City of Ft. Lauderdale Housing Authority. Both cover Davie.
0 votes
moranhome, Home Buyer, Davie, FL
Wed Dec 25, 2013
Most comments make it seem so complicated.

If you go to you'll be mired in minutia. You can use to look up the Housing Authorities in your state. There may be overlap... such as there may be a Housing Authority for your county and another Housing Authority for a city in your county. They may or may not cover the same geographical area.

The Housing Authorities are local entities run by local government who administer the Federal HUD funds. They are separate and apart from but must abide by Fed HUD rules.

Your lease is with the tenant and eventually an agreement with the local Housing Authority as to how much they will pay toward the rent. The first year usually requires a one year lease.

You can just visit, which allows you to advertise to prospective tenants. You need to check prospective tenants vouchers (which are given to them by the Housing Authority) to see that they are allotted enough to cover the rent. (The Payment Standard) That allotment is based on # of bedrooms but in most cases, a person who has a one bedroom voucher can lease a 2, 3, 4 bedroom place as long as the rent doesn't go over the "Payment Standard" on that voucher.

Your prospective tenant fills out a simple form and sends it to the Housing Authority, which then schedule an inspection. The inspections are very fast, (maybe 10 minutes) unless your place is a mess. It's basic... screens in windows, hot water heater, bathroom and kitchen, etc. After the inspection approval, you go to the local HUD Housing Authority Office and sign the documents. You can also call your local HUD Housing Authority initially and tell them you're a landlord and would like to advertise your rental as your area may or may not use
It's all very simple but it will take about 6 weeks for you to get your first rental check as they have to put you in the system. Then checks will arrive on time or even early.
The Housing Authority is strict on criminal background check regarding drugs or violence but you still want to run your own credit and perhaps criminal background checks. I don't know what one person referred to as a class for 3 days for landlord. Never heard of such a thing but maybe some local offices require it. Doesn't seem so as that would discourage landlords.
0 votes
Evelynwoodar…, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Sat Dec 7, 2013
No u need to call memphis housing authority and they will explain to u thw steps and the class u will attend for 3 days
0 votes
Joycejoyce001, Home Buyer, Tampa, FL
Tue Mar 19, 2013
I looking to tent a three bedroom house in juipter pbg northpslm beach and can we get a section 8
0 votes
Joycejoyce001, Home Buyer, Tampa, FL
Tue Mar 19, 2013
I looking to tent a three bedroom house in juipter pbg northpslm beach and can we get a section 8
0 votes
Nadine Mauro, Agent, Lake Worth, FL
Fri Dec 11, 2009
Have you already found a family that is qualified for section 8? If so, you need to verify that their voucher is valid for the size and type property you are renting to them. Some vouchers are specific to a certain city or county.

Does the town in which the house is located have a local housing office? If so, contact them and ask what their requirements are for section 8 and if the voucher your potential tenant has will be good for your property. You will need to write a lease specifying all the terms, and you will need to have the house inspected and approved before the tenant can move in.

Some jurisdictions will ask you for a voided check from your bank account, and they will automatically deposit the rent money into your account each month. The nice thing about this is you know you will be getting your money each month.

Good luck.

Nadine Mauro
Realty Hub, Inc
0 votes
Brian Luce, Agent, New Hope, PA
Fri Dec 11, 2009
Is your property currently Section 8 Approved?

If so, your HUD Coordinator can give (should give) you the lease details. Your Local Housing Authority can also provide into regarding the lease specifics etc.

If your home is not currently section 8 approved (or in case this may help someone else):

Your first step is to visit the HUD website at

You can also contact your local housing Authority for some info as well. Your rental will need to be section 8 approved / inspected to qualify for the program. You can find a local rep on the HUD site that can give you all the info you need.

Your home will need to meet HUD's Housing Quality Standards (HQS) which requires having a full inspection of your premises and any possible remediations / repairs completed to comply.

Once approved, you can then contact your local housinig authority to let them know you property has been HUD approved.

(That's a very, VERY basic outline, your local Housing Authority or HUD can provide all of the needed details.

Hope that helps.
0 votes
not quite right
Flag Wed Dec 25, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Rental Basics in Davie Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more