Rental Basics in Brooklyn>Question Details

Nina Wilson, Renter in Anaheim, CA

I'm a young soon-to-be college graduate moving cross-country to Brooklyn more than likely. Any advance being a young female moving out on her own?

Asked by Nina Wilson, Anaheim, CA Tue Jun 4, 2013

Affordability, good neighborhood areas, etc. and tips concerning such matters would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Nina,

Brooklyn is a very diverse area with different neighborhoods that range in price from a few hundered thousand to the millions. Know your maket area and price range.

My best advice is to start with a mortgage broker to find your price range. Once you know that, do your homework, looking for properties within your price range. Good sites to do research on are Zillow, Craigslist and of course, my favorite, the one you are on now, "Trulia".

If you ever need any help, give me a call... Advice is free! ;-)

Luke Constantino
Keller Williams Real Estate
9120 4th Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11209
Office: (718) 954 8400
Direct: (212) 300-3919
Hey Nina,

First tip I would give is to be very specific about what your needs are.
A) what would be your budget for a place
B) as for good neighborhoods, you'd just have to explore these areas on your own and really get a vibe of them - and if they are- are the majority in your budget?

B) If you might need someone to consign or be a guarantor on a lease, (1 year is typical) make sure you have a someone before you leave. (family or friends are the most typical guarantors)

C) make sure where you live is close to subways! It just makes life a lot easier!

I'm originally a Long Beach,CA and I'm in love with my neighborhood in Bed-Stuy.