I just find out that the apartment I am living in may be illegal. I live in Calumet City. What should I do? Thanks

Asked by Megan Keisher, Calumet City, IL Mon Jul 29, 2013

He told the other tenant (my bf) that the city has contacted him. Does anyone knows if it is true how long we have to vacate the apt? Thx

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Balance Group…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Aug 5, 2013
You can call the city but they may not give you the information over the phone. I would stop by the village hall and see whats going on . You need to speak with someone in the Housing/Building Dept. Please let me know if you need further assistance in finding a more suitable unit in Cal City.
diana@findingourbalance.com Good Luck!!
1 vote
Randy Weinst…, , Chicago, IL
Wed Nov 6, 2013
If you are talking about eviction then it will take at least two to three months.
0 votes
Josh Barnett, Agent, Chandler, OK
Tue Jul 30, 2013
Call the city and ask the inspector.
0 votes
Manuel Brown, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Jul 30, 2013
Contact you city's housing department.
0 votes
Matt Laricy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Jul 30, 2013
If you let the city officials they will be able to help out.
0 votes
Bill J Delig…, Agent, Naperville, IL
Mon Jul 29, 2013
Contact the city officials and ask what your rights are. If it truly is illegal I imagine that you will be given a fair amount of time to move out.
0 votes
Jacqueline S…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Jul 29, 2013
Call the city or Calumet City and ask them without giving them your name or address. Just give them a what if scenario. They may also have a web site with FAQ that may aid you.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more