Rental Basics in New York>Question Details

As, Renter in New York, NY

I have 6 days until my lease ends. Is my real estate agent playing games by not calling me back?

Asked by As, New York, NY Thu Apr 21, 2011

Three weeks ago I made a counter offer on the lease renewal. Since my agent said she would take it to the landlord she has not responded to any of my calls or emails. Is this some kind of tactic to force me to sign at the higher price at the last minute?

Answers

5
Three weeks is a long time to make an offer ona rental and not have a response. Let's not jump to conclusion and let's not hit the agent with a chair, instead we'll hit him/her with a prayor. I suggest you contact management immediately and confirm they have your counter offer and ask why it's taking a long time to get an answer. Best of luck and remember, don't sleep on it because you won't sleep in it. If you need assistance I'm here fo your, ciao.

Tony Lara
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Rutenberg Realty
tlara@crrnyc.com
The vacancy rate in Manhattan has moved back in favor of the landlords. They are generally not entertaining counteroffers on the increases. If you would like to discuss your particular situation in greater detail you may email me directly. Best of luck.

Lee Williams
lwilliams@crrnyc.com
Contact your agent or his/ her managing broker and offer what the landlord wants to secure your lease. You're offer may have been too low and the landlord is just not responding or does not want to renew your lease.

Gary Geer

http://www.GaryGeer.com
That's possible - does this agent work directly for the landlord or for an outside brokerage? If you are in a super-prime area (like the Villages) rents are going up pretty dramatically. Let me know if I can help. Best to you.
Landlords are not wild about dropping their rent and it sounds like you are trying to negotiate a new payment. It could be many things including letting your lease expire to find a new tenant. Most leases revert to a month to month status when they expire and they have a min period to notify you to leave.